Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply.  I have to admit that I am not entirely clear
about all the points that you are making, so please forgive me if I have
barked up the wrong tree at any point.

You note Aristotle's foundation role in logic.  I completely agree that he
still forms the base upon which modern logic is built.  However, I am not
convinced that this has very much to do with the rise of modern science.
Nor do I think that Aristotle's foundational role in science provides any
reason for believing that ancient natural philosophy could ever, on its own
terms, have developed into what we recognise as science.

I'm also not sure that molecular biology helps you any more than the physics
of motion.  After all, Aristotle's excellent observational and categorising
role in natural history was blighted by the same lack of experiment as his
work on motion. And his rational/teleological viewpoint was also unhelpful
(although supported by Christians up until the nineteenth century).  His
insistence upon spontaneous generation is an excellent example.  For maggots
appearing in rotten meat, at least, a controlled experiment would easily
have demonstrated his error, even if the case of eels is excusable.

I'm also confused by your term "the logic of calculus".  Calculus, of
course, is the mathematics of infinitesimals developed by Newton and
Leibniz.  And it is hard to imagine a science that thrives on calculus more
than the physics of motion.

So, while I can clearly see you disagree with me, I am afraid that I do not
really follow why.

Best wishes

James

<http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Science-Christian-Scientific-Revolution/dp/15
96981555/bedeslibrary> The Genesis of Science: How the Christian Middle Ages
Launched the Scientific Revolution by James Hannam is available for
pre-order now.

"Well-researched and hugely enjoyable."  New Scientist

"A spirited jaunt through centuries of scientific development. captures the
wonder of the medieval world: its inspirational curiosity and its engaging
strangeness." Sunday Times

"This book contains much valuable material summarised with commendable
no-nonsense clarity. James Hannam has done a fine job of knocking down an
old caricature." Sunday Telegraph