From: fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] On
Behalf Of joe.bren...@bluewin.ch
Sent: Monday, 21 March 2011 12:19 p.m.
To: colli...@ukzn.ac.za; Pedro C. Marijuan; fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: Re: [Fis] Hannam's Contentious Postulate. The Peircean Mirror

Dear John, Pedro, Jerry and All,

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am convinced that for further progress in
information, let alone other matters, some recognition of the limitations of
Peirce may have to be recognized. John's statement that "pragmatics means
action" can be applicable to real processes only if the pragmatics in
question includes ontological (scientific) principles and not only
epistemological classifications.

As Queiroz, Emmeche and El Hani write: "In a Peircean model, Sign, Object
and Interpretant are triadically coupled in a dynamically irreducible
process. In other words, 'information' requires a triadic pattern of
determinative relationships involving the Sign, Object and Interpretant."
Information, in this view, has a "processual nature".

In my view, this simply displaces the problem further, since the Peircean
categories themselves are derivative, epistemological constructions which
'mirror', literally and figuratively, the underlying dynamic structure of
the universe as Peirce saw it. The processes referred to by Q, E and EH are
indeed interpreter-dependent objective processes, but they admit that they
cannot be dissociated from the notion of a situated agent. Here, we have
gone outside Peirce, since the discussion of the "agent" and his/her
interactions requires a physical dialectics and logic that is absent in
Peirce. To try to restate my interpretation, to say that for effective
information, or effective semiosis to take place by having a Sign
effectively communicate, by mediating the relation between Object and
Interpretant, a form from the object to Interpretant by changing the state
of the interpreter (emphasis mine) says no more than that information is
something that changes the state of an agent. In the statement that an
effective Sign, by being actualized (sic), has an actual effect on an
interpreter (NOT interpretant), Sign is simply a placeholder for an
undefined real process, since a "Sign defined as a medium for the
communication of a form" is, again, simply an analytic mirror for some
reality that operates according to as yet undefined rules.

The Peircean processual approach to information seeks to acquire additional
dynamics by distinguishing it from some structure considered as a totally
static phenomenon. What has been missed are the actual and potential dynamic
aspects of structure and form themselves - a sequence of nucleotides, for
example, not in abstracto, but in a real cell. The consequences for an
augmented theory of information, in which Peirce's work shares the
theoretical space with non-epistemic approaches, follow. To paraphrase
Antonio Salieri's famous "Prima la musica, dopo le parole", I say "first
reality, then the signs".

Thank you and best wishes,

Joseph