Participants are reminded the rule of only two messages per week!!

---Pedro

Rafael Capurro escribió:
well... not exactly. This is the way Hegel (and others) looked at it, discarding the 'singulars' or including them into the particulars and so creating a dialectics of the universal and the particular. Kierkegaard was not at all happy with this. What I am trying to say (quoting Octavio Paz) is nothing mystical or singular in the sense that might be part of the process of questionning ("falsifying") theories and the like. It is surely not against scientific method (fallibilistic or not) and it is not mystical (a word used by Wittgenstein as you know). Trees are trees, not signs. As simple as this. Best. Rafael
Dear Rafael&  Gordana,

What we are discussing here is the difference between universals and
particulars. Universal laws can only be stated in terms of universal
variables (mass, energy, etc. The "pleroma" of Bateson). The
particular, the asymmetric, the contingent are all constrained, but
not determined by the universal laws. The laws are insufficient for
that purpose. The (mostly unique) contingencies are part of the
boundary-value problem -- the mostly neglected half of the full
problem statement. Such contingencies can affect one another (and
indirectly themselves) via the intermediary of the universal laws,
sometimes creating what Peirce called "habits". Such habits may have
been contingent in origin, but take on the form of strong local
(non-universal) constraints.

Hence, this world that *we* inhabit does not violate universal laws,
but neither is it completely formed by them. Singularities exist
everywhere, but most of them are ephemeral. A few get entrained into
the "habits". It is a predominately historical world wherein the
"stability" we sense derives from the historical habits.

In recognizing the insufficiency of universal laws, we also must
acknowledge bounds on our ability to predict. All is not lost, however
(depending on how one feels about predictability), because we can
still entertain probabilistic predictions via what Popper called "the
calculus of conditional probabilities", or information theory (more
accurately termed "constraint theory").

See also:<http://templetonpress.org/book.asp?book_id=136>

The best,
Bob U.

Robert E. Ulanowicz                |  Tel: +1-352-378-7355
Arthur R. Marshall Laboratory      |  FAX: +1-352-392-3704
Department of Biology              |  Emeritus, Chesapeake Biol. Lab
Bartram Hall 110                   |  University of Maryland
University of Florida              |  Email<u...@cbl.umces.edu>
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525 USA     |  Web<http://www.cbl.umces.edu/~ulan>

Quoting Rafael Capurro<raf...@capurro.de>:

Dear Gordana,

yes, we build a world, something stable, with names and laws and
signs and.. everything looks as nice as before (this uneery
experience) but it just looks so... Nothing would change if we would
try to get this experience again (!) into the perspective of law and
order and making sense and.... There is no logical (sign, name) path
from one experience to the other, just a leap. The world of the
observer next morning looks like the usual way of the observer but
it has radically changed. Maybe the problem consists in the idea of
the 'observer' itself. The uneery experience Octavio Paz is pointing
to means a radical questionning of the power of the observer to
change everything into signs, names, ... and also of becoming an
agent (and not just an observer!) in the world.
best
Rafael

ØThey are unrepeatable: they will never be again what they are
right now. [...]

Very true.

They will never be again exactly the same and what is even more, we
will never be exactly the same. ????????- Panta rhei.

And yet, there is something in that chaos of the World, of the Ding
an sich which is stable, which makes us able to make sense.

In front of that dark window from which the World is gradually
fading away beyond recognizability  there is an remarkable Other, a
distinct piece of the World which makes the difference (observation
&  reflection).

This remarkable observer making an observation of not being able to
make an observation of the vanishing World of appearances, has
memory of the World in her body.

In the structures of her brain and morphology her body, there is an
expectation against which this wonder rises about the World
disappearing in the evening darkness.

What establishes (communicable) sense, structures and names, comes
in the morning.

The very same World will come back next morning and make usual
sense for an observer/agent.

She will repeat the same pattern of interaction, being reassured
that there is a structure in an ever-changing World.

Saying ?I have no name for this experience? presupposes knowing
about ?the name? and ?an experience?, both being a part of a
structured world of human/agents millennia long experience with
this World disappearing and appearing again, changing, yet keeping
basic structures time and time again.

That is why we understand pre-Socratic philosophers/thinkers/poets,
why we understand beautiful Octavio Paz "El mono gramático" and why
we are able to make any sense at all, including the sense that it
is not possible to make (usual) sense.

With best wishes,

Gordana