Dear John,
The reference you cited looks like essential reading and I have ordered it.
Thank you for calling it to our attention.
I believe, also, that the conventional view of meaning leads to its erasure,
and this exactly why a Derridean view of writing (and speech) is required in
which erasure does not mean the total loss of meaning.
As far as signs go, the area of debate is clear. A theory of signs (or
sign-relations) is essential to the understanding of information and questions
of reality and illusion. You believe that Peirce delivers this and I do not.
The reason is that the critical fallibility, I think, is not in our
representations, about which there should be no debate, but in taking signs
(Peirce's icon and index) as representations in the first place. Doing this
leads straight to the illusions we as realists wanted to avoid.

Thus when you write: "A proper understanding of how signs, and thus logic,
works can avoid these problems", I agree, but wish to suggest that neither
standard logics, nor Peirce's logic, also truth-functional, grounded in
language, can do the job. Something like Lupasco's extension of logic to real
processes, his "Logic of Energy" (1951), may be required. I am looking forward
to the Taborsky opus to help develop this approach.
Best regards,
Joseph