Replying to Raphael, Joseph, and Loet -

**

*Rafael Capurro* to Robert, fis

show details 10:13 AM (4 hours ago)

well... not exactly. This is the way Hegel (and others) looked at it,

discarding the 'singulars' or including them into the particulars and so

creating a dialectics of the universal and the particular. Kierkegaard

was not at all happy with this. What I am trying to say (quoting Octavio

Paz) is nothing mystical or singular in the sense that might be part of

the process of questioning ("falsifying") theories and the like. It is

surely not against scientific method (fallibilistic or not) and it is

not mystical (a word used by Wittgenstein as you know). Trees are trees,

not signs. As simple as this. Best. Rafael

Trees vary according species and cultures, each of which has evolved signs
to negotiate with them.  ‘Trees as trees’ are a ‘scientific’ fiction insofar
as they are supposed to be so without any connection to observation and
interpretation.  In fact here we have a good example for consideration of
nominalism.  ‘Trees’ is a  universal, and depends upon
observation/interpretation regarding particular ones in order to be
instantiated at places and times.  Science believes it can transcend this
by, for example, observing different species interacting with a particular
kind of tree.  The worm, the moth and squirrel are observed interacting with
a kind of tree, under the idea that the more kinds of interactions we
observe the more actual is this kind of tree.  But the whole scene is a
social construct; placing a universal into an increasingly inclusive
observer-constructed context does not make it increasingly ‘real’ as a
universal. Recording our observations and combining them with those of
others merely increases the ‘scale’ of the observation.  A library full of
treatises on oaks does not make ‘oak’ a real universal -- unless your
philosophy deems it to be so.  Things-as-such are linguistic constructions.

Then to Joseph --

Joseph --

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM, joe.bren...@bluewin.ch <