Dear Gavin,

Information Theory is a specific subfield of Probability Theory
applied to Information Sciences. It was used in the 70's in
cheminformatics by F. McLafferty (mass spectrometry), A. Dijkstra
(infrared spectra databases), etc.
Would you reduce Information Science to Information Theory ?
But I agree that with you information does not always exist where
expected in Chemistry. Shannon introduced the name "entropy" in
communication sciences due to the formal similarity between the math
expresssion of its informational "entropy" and the math formula issued
from the Boltzman mathematical model of the thermodynamic entropy
(Clausius). Some people deduced later later that information lies in
thermodynamic systems: this confusion relies on the fact that the term
"entropy" has now two meanings, and both entropies must not be
confused, even if the same math formula appeared at the occasion of
two mathematical modeling: the modeling of a thermodynamic system and
the modeling of a communication system.
Thus I would not seek information here.
About bioinformation, I cannot tell you: many FISers are expected to
show that it exists much better than me.
It remains that information is an abstract concept which exists only
in our heads, and which is difficult to define rigorously since it has
various aspects. It is a problem of terminology.
Stating that information does not exist may be compared to stating
that a cloud does not exist: it is hard to define it rigorously and
its frontiers are highly fuzzy, but everybody is sure that it exists.

Best regards,

Michel.