Dear Loet,
Thanks for your very good reply.
Yes information cannot be found as res extensa, justs as mathematics:
mathematics exist in our head, and can be communicated, can be taught,
etc., but do not exist as concrete objects.
However, starting from data (and databanks), we can extract knowledge
and produce mathematical models, the so-called physical laws (note
that many math demonstrated math theorems still not apply to any
physical situation).
They do not exist as objects, but they do exists as models of physical
situations.
Some years ago on a chemistry forum there was a debate about orbitals:
some tell that they do exist because they can be measured etc. (even
void orbitals ?), and some tell that it is just a current math model
of the reality with an acceptable degree of simplification. I am in
favor of the latter view: they exist, but as a model.
Information is as knowledge: it can be extracted and as such it
exists, but yes the "exists" is ambiguous, just as for orbitals.
All my best,
Michel.