From: fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] On
Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: den 19 september 2011 12:04
To: 'Michel Petitjean'; fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: Re: [Fis] Chemical information: a field of fuzzy contours ?

Dear Michel,

>  Stating that information does not exist may be compared to stating that a
> cloud does not exist: it is hard to define it rigorously and its frontiers
> are highly fuzzy, but everybody is sure that it exists.

The problem is here the "exist". This easily lead to reification. For example,
you formulate:

>  Thus I would not seek information here.

In my opinion, "information" can be entertained as a concept in a discourse. It
can then also be defined, for example, as probabilistic entropy. I like
Husserl's term "cogitatum" which he added in "the Cartesian Meditations" to
Descartes distinction between res extensa and res cogitans. Information cannot
to be found as res extensa.

Best wishes,

Loet