Ø  There are two ways we can use the idea "in-form".

Yes, this is the other notion of information. Shannon-type information does
not “inform”, but is counter-intuitively defined as uncertainty (or
probabilistic entropy) and measured, for example, in bits of information. It
is based on probability distributions.

Bateson (1973) and many others did define information as “a difference which
makes a difference”. Probability distributions contain only differences. If
these first-order differences make a difference in a second dimension then a
system of reference is assumed for which the first-order difference may make
a difference. This system of reference may then discard some incoming
information as noise and provide meaning to other information. Perhaps, it
is useful to call this meaningful information (or observed information) as
different from the expected information (or uncertainty) in the case of
Shannon-type information.

The system of reference does not have to be “an observer” as is often
presumed in the cybernetic tradition; it can also be discourse. Does this
contribution make a difference for the discourse? The two notions of
information are to be kept apart because otherwise the discussion becomes
confused.

Best wishes,
Loet

(a) A cannon ball can "inform" a wall - the energy and the "signal" are both
delivered by the ball. Similarly an artist can in-form clay to create a work
of art. In this case the recipient (wall, clay) is passive.

(b) A relatively weak signal, say one broadcast by a radio station can
"inform" a radio.  The radio uses the form of the signal to modulate energy
that comes from a different source - it selects the signal from many others
(by tuning) and amplifies it using energy it gets from batteries or the
grid.

I think that (b) is how the term is used in a modern context while (a) is
more historical.

It is in the context of (b) that I pose the question about information being
the form conveyed by data. In (b) the recipient plays an active role to
select a particular signal which then modulates or informs some internal
activity.  We can think of human perception in this way - we detect and
select signals and use them to create models of our environment.

This (b) model can be used to describe a range of activity from Shannon type
communication to biological (DNA) activity, but I am not sure it can be
applied to chemical activity.

To my "un-informed" way of thinking chemical interaction is more like (a) -
a passive response - rather than a selective active response as in (b).

Dick Stoute