(message from Jamie Rose)

The "difference that makes a difference" puts the situation into a larger context that includes the observing system / encountering system. This is irrespective of the sentience or cybernetic (secondary/tertiery/etc) awareness/interpretive/reapplication
capability of the sensoring system.

Gyorgy's question therefore is very important and needs clinical answering in _new ways_. (beyond Bateson, Shannon, Weaver, et al. "Simplistic" action/reaction responsive systems are also worthy of 'information analysis'. A key characteristic is - is a system so constructed and organized that it will recognize (let lone be responsive to) energy/temporal/situational variances in its environment ?

We humans are awash in radio signals, but don't have the organs/organelles sensitive to acknowledge their presence around us. "Information" is there -- but so what?

In contrast, atoms/molecules EM fields are exquisitely sensitive to fields variances ('information changes') all around them. We harness and use this in human electronic civilization -- but we design threshholds in the machinery we build. This prevents un-wanted information (otherwise labelled as 'noise') from corrupting the data and effects desired. We require that data-bit states be protected, until modified ('informationed') by choice and with utility concerns involved (cybernetic tiered information coordination, as it were).

A major change in appreciation of 'information systems' is needed. What are they in regard to human information processing? Whay is an information organelle in the natural world? What is an information system/component - more fundamentally - in the natural world?

But, most importantly -- what is a theoretical essense of an information 'mechanism/function' ?

To be so bold, I will place something into the ether here for your consideration.

I made a presentation at the 1998 Univ Arizona, "Towards a Science of Consciousness" conference. While attending and listening to presentations during the week long conference, I began to ponder in the variety of 'information' definitions floated about. Wondering about the possibility of general shared criteria and characteristics - I focussed on Shannon, and, on Taylor's discussion of the fundamentals of The Calculus, and characteristics of physical
'tuned sensitivity radio equipment'.

Taylor, Leibnitz and Newton were particularly aware of measuement limits in regard to mathemathics. The notion of measured partitioning - heading toward the infinitely small/short - required an important statement/disclaimer about the full domain of math and dimensional and spatial measuring/sizing. It was stated as an a priori axiom than no matter what size partitions were under a curve or distance consideration, there would always be a distance measure 'e', smaller/shorter than any partition size at any moment of consideration.

This is a critically important assertion. It is tantamount to saying that no matter how small a partition (otherwise definable in current vernacular) as an 'information bit', the mathematical "apparatus' would always be more sensitive than any partition-bit and would always be able to 'recognize' the information values - individually and cummulatively. An intangible always sensitive mechanism cabale of encountering any and all information varainces. (smaller than
any wave length; shorter than any limit (ala Planck).

They were designing an intangible/virtual 'information processing mechanism', even if they didn't express it in those terms; the Shannon-esque notion of 'defining information'. What becomes humorous it the tautology this presents. Shannon built his probability definition of 'information' using the Calculus -- which was already an 'information processing function/mechanism' -- built on the Shannon-esque concept that there is such a thing as 'information' (bit/variance/probability).

This extraordinary cognition of what information can be, what mathematics and the Calculus are as manulipators and processors of information datums -- already ; opens new vistas to appreciate plural simultaneous information processing. Material/energy systems engage and process 'information' -- sometimes in regard to human concerns, but ongoing and self-pertinent and self functional according to the nature and extent and capability of construction
themselves.

It is not incorrect to examine and evaluate any system as an 'information system', besides whatever meaning, value or engagement (cybernetic translation or accomodation) potential for other systems or alternate tiers/orders of systems in the companion environment(s).

Jamie Rose