Dear Pedro, Dear Colleagues,

Pedro has suggested a very open framework for Varna next Summer which I think
we should all try to adapt for our own needs. What I mean by this is not to
follow it exactly but state explicitly what sort of form, of the kinds that
Pedro proposes, one is using in one's approach.

As to Deacon's work, I feel a little odd at having to defend it, but I see the
role he gives to thermodynamics is primarily as the necessary underlying
process. The focus of his book is on the further generation of form
(morphodynamics) and the characterization of living systems (teleodynamics) in
a rigorous manner. However, as in Logic in Reality, there are properties of
energy and aspects of absence which have been largely ignored, and it exactly
these that provide a further approach to the origin of life, evolution and the
information related to them. I do not think it is possible, from now on, to
talk about information without a minimum reference to the necessity of its
being defined in part negatively, by constraint, "what is missing" or the
"informative power of absence".

People who insist on total proofs of a theory will not find them in Deacon's
work. What he has provided, in his own words, are "proofs of principle" that
should nevertheless lead one to rethink many of one's assumptions based on
standard notions of causality, emergence, signal and noise, etc. Especially,
Deacon insists on seeing the reciprocal complementarity of critical processes
at the chemical and biological level as a necessary, non-trivial feature of
evolution.

He has built on the work of people we know (or should know) - Kauffman,
Collier, Salthe and others. For an initial exposure to his approach, one can
try his 2010 article "The Emergence of Self" available on-line (open access).

Best wishes,

Joseph