Dear FISers,

Just a couple of comments on the many subjects raised last week.

When Koichiro Matsuno discusses several dichotomies related to information, the
disjunction he makes between treatment or description by first person and by
third person is quite intriguing. I think that in every instance of
communication there is a continuous jumping between each other. From first
person rumination (not very different in the case of a single cell), generally
caught within an undescribable network of selfconstruction processes,
information is uttered/poured onto a public channel where it becomes crisp and
physical, arriving then to other parties where again it becomes a first person
attribute, to be loaded with meaning, value, and so on. In all these endless
jumps or info flows, there is an intertwining and influencing of each other
realm. And that is dramatically evidenced in the evolution of our own
societies, based precisely on the multiplication and acceleration of such info
flows... At stake is whether a new info science could be conceived with "the
best of both worlds" reconciling the physical and the non-physical
(self-constructing) sides of information/communication.

In another mindful post, Bill Seaman (nice to hear from people bridging with
the social cognition/creativity side) mentions his "recombinant informatics"
and "insight engine". Apart from his further semiotic expostulations, not too
far from the above I think, the link with the elementary cognitive dynamics of
life would also be an aspect to explore. More and more we are realizing that,
say, the knowledge-management commonalities of life --cellular, neuronal,
social, and scientific-- have been butchered by the disciplinary system. It is
discussed in a paper that Raquel, Jorge and me have published about scientomics
recently: "From Genomics to Scientomics: Expanding the Bioinformation
Paradigm."  http://www.mdpi.com/2078-2489/2/4/651/   It is in the special issue
of the journal Information where quite many parties of this list also
contributed.

Well, both comments are related to life--and to the need of new theoretical
(informational) biology thought.

Best wishes---Pedro