On 04 May 2012, at 11:35, Pedro C. Marijuan wrote:

Dear Gordana, Hector and colleagues,

I keep thinking that the theme of "absences" is really fundamental for advancing the foundations of information science, but I am disappointed by the way Terry has oriented the book. Both style and contents are inadequate for my taste. He continues to do what he did in previous papers, highly promising ones (as some parties discussed in past messages we had in the list); pointing to exciting new absential aspects but finally focusing in the physical ones (without much new enlightenment).

In my opinion the most appropriate direction to advance an absential calculus of sorts is the language of SYMMETRY. Several parties in this list have already discussed the theme (me included). Symmetry breaking and symmetry restoration and related formal tools are the way to tackle the absential dimension in the genuine informational entities: cells, nervous systems, societies (and the vacuum!!). To reiterate that the fundamental point is not about computation, but about self-construction. Those "absences" refer to "gaps", " functional voids" in the self-construction cycles/processes of those entities --there might be 'natural computation' associated, eg, in cellular signaling systems, but finally the ruling aspect is about self-maintenance and reproduction. We could also enlist McLuhan in this critical position regarding the physicalist-computationalist interpretations, I think.

I dare to insist that computationalism and physicalism are in complete opposition. If computationalism is correct then physicalism is provably false, and if physicalism is correct then computationalism is provably false.

The widespread confusion between materialism and mechanism (or physicalism and computationalism) arises from a reductionist view on the machines themselves.

-- Bruno Marchal

So, after a glance in the whole book, I am now in the detailed reading of Chapter 4, with mounting disappointment... "Incomplete Book"!! Deeper exploration needed!!

best

---Pedro

Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic escribió:

Dear Hector,

This might be a good way, Terry Deacon presenting his book:
http://fora.tv/2012/04/18/Incomplete_Nature_How_Mind_Emerged_From_Matter

What I find fascinating with this book is the whole dynamical framework,
from thermodynamics, to morphodynamics and teleodynamics.
See also:
http://www.american.edu/cas/economics/info-metrics/pdf/upload/Beavers-Oct-2011-presentation.pdf

For sure, Deacon is not computationalist and his ideas of information and computation are pretty classical ones. But it does not matter in this context. For a computationalist all three kinds of dynamics are computational processes,
and corresponding structures are informational structures.

With best wishes,
Gordana