Dear Bruno and FIS colleagues,

Here are my three comments on the current discussion:
(1)
It seems to me that one thing should be taken into account: computationalism is
not a monolithic body of theory,
and old approaches should not be mixed with the current ones.

Here is what Matthias Scheutz says (and I agree) in Computationalism: New
Directions:

"Classical computationalism -- -the view that mental states are computational
states -- -has come under attack in recent years. Critics claim that in
defining computation solely in abstract, syntactic terms, computationalism
neglects the real-time, embodied, real-world constraints with which cognitive
systems must cope.

Instead of abandoning computationalism altogether, however, some researchers
are reconsidering it, recognizing that real-world computers, like minds, must
deal with issues of embodiment, interaction, physical implementation, and
semantics.

This book lays the foundation for a successor notion of computationalism. It
covers a broad intellectual range, discussing historic developments of the
notions of computation and mechanism in the computationalist model, the role of
Turing machines and computational practice in artificial intelligence research,
different views of computation and their role in the computational theory of
mind, the nature of intentionality, and the origin of language."
http://books.google.se/books?id=Y59zyNWnNfYC&printsec=front_cover&redir_esc=y

(2)
"The usual critics always assume type of first person/third person identity
thesis which are incompatible both with computationalism or with quantum
mechanics." (Bruno)

All we know with confidence about the first person is from the third persons
accounts about first persons.
When it comes to first person accounts on the same first person, the "person"
telling the story anyway is not the same person experiencing the world,
because those two exist in different instants of time. (Here I refer to
Minsky's view of dynamical societies of mind)
So my account about my experiences comes from my memory and is a
reconstruction. Psychologists know how unreliable self- accounts are.

Why not simply admit that all the knowledge about the first person simply comes
from the third persons accounts about first persons?

(3)
When it comes to digital/analog and discrete/continuous debate, it must be
pointed out that some of computationalist approaches are purely discrete (what
here is called digital) while others allow for both discrete and continuous
representations.*

I also agree with Hector and Wolfram that physics has primacy.
If at some level of abstraction such as quantum mechanics one observes both
continuum and discrete states, that means understanding the nature as a
computational system at that level of abstraction, computations are both
discrete and continuous (like computations of an analog computer).

Our models of reality are not the same thing as reality. It is not the reality
that is continuous or discrete - it is our best models of reality that are
continuous or discrete. Reality is always more than our models. We are
discussing our models.
We are always in a search for the best (richest, most productive, most general
etc.) models of reality, and we learn through the process and we will continue
to learn. Learning does not depend only on the nature of reality, it also
depends on human effort invested in our interactions with the world and the
construction of increasingly better models.

Best regards,
Gordana

*A very good and elucidating account of the discrete, continuous, analog,
digital will be found in:
Maley, C.J. Analog and digital, continuous and discrete. Philos. Stud. 2010,
155, 117-131.

Also here:
http://www.mdpi.com/2078-2489/2/3/460