Dear Pedro,

You bring up an important item in regard to the "autogen". It is a
point of departure between myself and Terry. While his narrative is
biomolecular, mine is in terms of "configurations of processes". The
difference is dimensional (mass vs mass/time), and dimensions are
quite important to me as an engineer.

Of course, I don't go as far as Alicia and Terry into human
psychology, but the chief difficulty with both of our scenarios
involving autocatalysis is that it is exceedingly difficult to capture
all the aspects of autocatalysis in terms of mechanical models. True,
simplistic models of autocatalytic feedback can be constructed, but
they cannot function with the same breadth as does the evolutionary
agency. As a consequence, most will not buy into the assertions that
autocatalysis exerts selection upon it members or gives rise to
centripetal attraction -- both extremely important features currently
absent from contemporary evolutionary theory, but readily observable
(especially in a social/economic context).

My own guess as to why mechanical models fail is that difficulties lie
more in the accompanying boundary statements than in the constituent
mechanisms. As Stu Kauffman contends, it is impossible to specify
entirely the "adjacent possible". My own jargon for the problem is
"combinatorial intractability". That is, the combinations of boundary
contingencies very rapidly grow hyper-astronomical in number.

It may still be that certain model formulations can yet exhibit
rudimentary facsimile to selection and centripetality. Mishtu Banerjee
of U. Calgary and I are currently investigating this challenge.

Another difference between Terry's narrative and my own is that he
keeps referring to the "absential" in terms of constraints. But
constraints are specific realities, not the absence thereof. It is the
latter that is so important to life, and such absence can be
conveniently quantified in entropy-like terms (entropy itself being an
apophasis). Unfortunately, Terry eschews Shannon approaches to
information (as do many on FIS), but I hold that the major advantage
of that calculus is that it provides an important experimental window
on flexibility and resilience (as Michael Conrad long ago suggested).

Thanks for bringing these problems to the foreground.

The best,
Bob