Dear All: I have to agree with  Xueshan Yan on that one: In  G.Batesson (1979)
Mind and Nature: A Necessary Unity NY: Dutton. We find at the Glassary p. 228:
> Information: Any difference taht makes a difference. see also Ch.3, Multiple
Versions of the World, Sec.1, The Case of Difference. All the best, ---Julio
Stern

From: lo...@physics.utoronto.ca
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:45:54 -0400
To: y...@pku.edu.cn
CC: fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: Re: [Fis] fis Digest, Vol 570, Issue 2

Dear Dr. Yan
I make reference to the MacKay quote in my article that can be found here:
www.mdpi.com/2078-2489/3/1/68/pdf
I make reference to  Hayles, K. How We Became Posthuman; University of Chicago
Press: Chicago, IL, USA, 1999.
where you will find an extensive discussion of Donald MacKay's formulation of
his definition of information:  Information is a distinction that makes a
difference–MacKay
If you google  "Information is a distinction that makes a difference" you will
find many more references to this quote.
with kind regards - Bob Logan

On 2013-04-14, at 4:52 AM, Xueshan Yan wrote:"Information is a distinction that
makes a difference"