Dear John, Dear Sören and All,

I think John is basically correct in starting from a physical basis for the
origin of information in the universe, but Sören is also correct in that
something "more" is needed to get to meaning. My view is, however, that the
latter's cybersemiotics is based on a Peircean view of the properties of the
universe, and that this view is crtitically incomplete, especially with regard
to partial determinism, discontinuity and the operational nature of signs.

Logic in Reality provides the missing link between the physical and
"non"-physical positions by relating them to the synergetic/antagonistic
interactions between the actuality and potentiality of energy and energetic
processes at all levels of reality, between presence and absence (cf. Deacon),
etc. In my opinion, this is what "gets us to experience". Floridi has
criticized my position since he assigns only epistemological value to levels of
reality, whereas I try to show that the epistemology and ontology of levels
cannot be totally separated.

The nexus of the debate is thus here, but it would require some "actualization"
of understanding of the relevance of LIR (or lack of it!) to continue along
these lines. Any takers?

Best wishes,

Joseph