From: Loet Leydesdorff <l...@leydesdorff.net<mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net>>
Date: Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:21 AM
To: 'Stanley N Salthe' <ssal...@binghamton.edu<mailto:ssal...@binghamton.edu>>,
'fis' <fis@listas.unizar.es<mailto:fis@listas.unizar.es>>
Cc: Инга <inga....@mail.ru<mailto:inga....@mail.ru>>
Subject: Re: [Fis] reply to Loet

S: (Nothing can go against the 'entropy law'.)  A nice example for you might be
communication over distances by flashing lights using the Morse code.  The
actual local operations here may not be the best framework to view this
(including in thermodynamic terms). Again, I could subsume this example into my
above argument -- that is, it is the social system that is communicating, not
individual persons.  It takes two positions for this communication to occur,
and this makes the system a large scale one, and so its speed of communication
is understandable in terms of natural hierarchy principles.

I don’t follow the argument completely: the larger social system would then be
subsumed under the individual system (because of its larger size and speed),
but it is a social construction on top of the individuals, isn’t it? Is there
room for a local inversion of the hierarchy (and thus of the second law?) such
as the generation of redundancy?

Best,
Loet

・        Inga Ivanova and Loet Leydesdorff, Redundancy Generation in
University-Industry-Government Relations: The Triple Helix Modeled, Measured,
and Simulated.<http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.3836>

・        Loet Leydesdorff and Inga Ivanova, Mutual Redundancies in Inter-human
Communication Systems: Steps Towards a Calculus of Processing
Meaning<http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.6849>, Journal of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology (in press).