Dear Colleagues,

The
 area of debate as proposed by John P., although broad, seems to involve
 a number of self-imposed restrictions that perhaps should be explicitly
 referred to. Thus, neither John?s papers (please excuse me if I have
missed it), nor the postings so far, have addressed the issue of
knowledge vs. intelligence. As I understand it, John?s approach is
specifically based on using Information Technology mediated groups of
agents to derive the existence of a collective intelligence, but I would
 like it to be explained in what this intelligence consists. In other
words, are we dealing with knowledge-as-such (stored and shared data) or
 capability for effecting change. John P. does say that crowd capability is
directed at
processing knowledge, but does this exhaust the content of the concept of
intelligence
as capability?

My
 next point is the following: it is easy to see how the interaction of
two individuals can lead to the emergence of new behavior and capability
 of behavior. An example of the former is interactional convergence. The
 second is a learning process. I tend to associate capability for
behavior with intelligence. The subsequent interaction of a third
individual with the result of the initial interaction, or one of the
individuals involved in it leads to further emergence of the same kind.
Iteration of this process, in my conception, focuses on the
individual-group interaction as its locus. On this basis, collective
intelligence appears with two or three people.
 My
 first question, therefore, is whether one can in fact consider that
multiple interactions at the same time constitute collective
intelligence in themselves, or whether there is always the need to take
into account the one-many relation, as well as, joining Loet, the
qualitative aspects of the communications involved in the interactions.

Best wishes,
Joseph