  From: Francesco Rizzo
  To: Pedro C. Marijuan
  Cc: fis@listas.unizar.es
  Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 4:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [Fis] Information Science and the City

  Caro Pedro e cari tutti,
  mi permetto di segnalarVi che la mia "Nuova economia" è basata sul  processo
di tras-in-form-azione. Si cfr. a tal proposito, fra i tanti altri:
  -Rizzo F., ""Valore e valutazioni. La scienza dell'economia o l'economia
della scienza", FancoAngeli, Milano 1999;
  -Rizzo F., "Nuova economia. Felicità del lavoro creativo e della
conservazione della natura. Infelicità della speculazione finanziaria", Aracne
editrice, Roma, 2013;
  -Rizzo F., "Incontro d'amore tra il cuore della fede e l'intelligenza della
scienza. Un salto nel cielo", Aracne editrice, Roma 2014.
  Ho dedicato mezzo secolo di ricerca per ri-comprendere e ri-significare la
scienza economica. Quello che scrivo non  è una presunzione.
  Auguri per un'intensa ripresa e grazie.
  Francesco Rizzo.

    Dear FISers,

    Among the many interesting themes where the information science perspective
may provide useful orientations, cities are one of the most singular. A recent
work by Michel Batty on the New Science of Cities (2013, MIT) makes a lot of
connections with our oft discussed info topics. A Communication Theory of Urban
Growth was developed by Richard Meier (1962); a fluxes perspective was already
attempted by Patrick Geddes (1949). In essence I have found that the idea of
information flows and material flows as catching and intertwining each other,
with their highly different regimes, heterogeneity and energy contents, appears
as an important focus in order to better understand the globalized city.
Scaling is one of the essential concepts...

    I am not aware that scaling has been applied to the informational analysis
itself (obviously it is the cornerstone of self-similarity). What I mean is
that a micro-level of communication analysis may be quite different from the
meso-level, and the from macro-level. Thinking in the human case (biologically
it could make sense too) the micro level is dominated by syntaxis, by a
Shannonian type of analysis on messages emitted from a sourced to a receiver.
The meso level contains meaning, value (fitness), purpose, and in general it
implies the communication associated to the behavioral episodes and living
rhythms of individuals. While in the macro level, many individuals' actions,
works, products, etc. are aggregated into fluxes or flows, basically of two
kinds those devoted to the material (self-production) and those carrying the
info stuff devoted to communication; then it invites analysis of network
science, operations research, economic efficiency, etc., and of course the
direct flow perspective as Bejan and Peder (2011) have attempted in one of the
most interesting theories on self-constructing flow systems. Depending on the
information perspective in which we observe human communication, we will need
one or another lens to better make sense of what is happening.

    My impression is that a more mature info science could be quite helpful in
this new field of urban development science --most people nowadays are living
in cities. Top down planning will fail if it is does not match with the bottom
up processes, both in communication and self-production aspects. Keeping an
adequate social flow of information, a well-mixed regime of communication, is
the essence of democracy. The contemporary "epidemics of loneliness" for
instance may be due among other social and demographic causes to failures in
bureaucratic high level planning...

    best ---Pedro

    PS. After the nasty computer crash months ago, we should try to enliven the
list--shouldn't we?

    Pedro C. Marijuán
    Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
    50009 Zaragoza, Spain