At 03:14 PM 2014-07-15, you wrote:
Dear John,

Thank you for this interesting perspective. Regarding the origin of the
"limited band width" of physical processes, could this have its origin in
some regularity other than circularity? For example, the "continuous going
back and forth" (the phrase is Botero's) between opposing attitudes or
states, alternately predominantly actual and potential?

My understanding of waves is that is how they work, also similar phenomena like pendula and oscillating springs, not to mention orbits.

All natural processes, then, have a capacity for continuous information
bearing. The problem is then the origin of /discreteness/, not only in your
countercase, which involves quantum particles, but at higher levels of
interactions between complex entities! For me, the only solution is that
continuity and discontinuity are properties of information which are
not totally separate from one another.

I was thinking more of billiard ball collisions, not ones that depend on quantum states. In my article, "Causation is the transfer of information" (available on my web site) and expanded in I use a formal notion of an information channel to deal with information transmission in classical systems. There are special problems when the dynamics are not computable, but I explain how the idea can work there as well. I do, however, need more formal proofs of sufficiency at this time, though. Fortunately, my approach does not require computation of the amount of information transferred, so I suppose it could be infinite and still work, but I doubt it is infinite in real processes. I suppose I will have to work that out at some point, one way or the other.

John

Professor John Collier                                     colli...@ukzn.ac.za
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292       F: +27 (31) 260 3031
Http://web.ncf.ca/collier