> Dear Colleagues,
>

> good that FIS is up again after this computer glitch.
>
> It is encouraging, that since the resurrection the focus of FIS appears
to be sharpened. Let me quote Pridi: “… brainstorming session that would
include pure researchers and application oriented guys … … business people
may find it more than worthwhile to attend such meetings! …”

> FIS does have a solid background in mathematics and formal logic. In
1995, that is 19 years ago!, Pedro encouraged me to summarise my research
in sequences and contemporary assemblies into a book: “Zaragoza Lectures on
Granularity Algebra”. Since then, there was hardly one year that I have not
contributed to FIS and its friendly organisations an input relating to the
formal logic underlying Nature’s machinations, with specific regard to
genetics, the archetype of interactions between a sequence and a
non-sequenced entity.

> During the years, what was at first cumbersome and complicated to
understand and to explain, has morphed into something that is easy to
explain but requires flexibility to understand. The explanation, how the
interaction between the DNA and the cell works – as an information
deciphering exercise – is of course of the “no-na” category, as Nature
cannot and will not use illogical or questionable methods. It is us who
have built the fundaments of our thinking in such a fashion that our
perception and cognition filter out the relevant details. One has to go
down to pre-school, or kindergarten level to point out what is to be looked
at so that this detail can then be used like any other tool of arithmetic.

> Presently, I work on a pre-school level teaching material that should
help soften the ingrained inhibitions of perception. There appear to be
extreme difficulties among well-educated people to believe it possible that
it is useful to re-learn what we have learnt at elementary school about
arithmetic. The dès-illusionnement appears to be comparable to that
experienced by our forefathers learning that the Earth is round or that
evolution means that we are sharing genetics with apes. The paradigm
changes come after circumstances have changed, and in this case, they have:
computers allow us to look at numbers in bulk, until we find patterns. This
method was not accessible to researchers of previous generations.

> Be as it may, the fact is, that to understand a process, we need to be
able to model it by using numbers. This is where scientific, serious,
industrial accounting comes into play. This discipline has to agree both to
the laws of logic and arithmetic, and also be useful and focusable on
specific tasks. There is no nonsense in accounting: if the sequence is a
different one, there has to be an identifiable conglomerate of non-linear
consequences that are re-traceable to the change in the sequence. This task
has now been solved, in such a fashion that the results and the mechanism
is communicable and understandable. One wonders about Mendel, whose rules
of genetics he himself knew and understood way before his death, which
preceded by 17 years the general acknowledgement that he indeed has had
outlined and explained Mendel’s laws.

> There will be a FIS symposium in Vienna, the city I live in, next year.
Please let me organize a sub-workshop on Modeling Genetic Information
Transfer By Using Extensions To Arithmetic. Maybe, no one will turn up, but
then not much is lost.

> In www.oeis.org there are two sequences registered that define the
central concepts quite well (A235647, A242615). There is an article in
ITHEA http://www.foibg.com/ijita/vol21/ijita-fv21.htm called Essay on
Order. The accounting mechanism is outlined in www.tautomat.com. There, one
will also find the contributions to FIS of last year, called Learn to Count
in Twelve Easy Steps.

> Showing the nuts and bolts of how the translation linear-spatial-linear
actually works is not a sexy subject. Accountants, watch-makers,
hair-splitters and sudoku-lovers may find it hilarious, albeit maybe a bit
risqué. There are some unusual approaches to additions presented there,
many taboos are broken, and many hearts will be broken, but absolutely no
laws of logic or data processing.

> But then, again, this is what pure research does for a living. If number
theorists could not deliver a good punch every once a while, the profession
would have died out. Let me hope that the commercial and application guys
are willing to shop. There is, indeed, something on offer coming from pure
science, from basic research into the formal properties of logical
sentences. The invention is extremely practical, and – once one has
familiarized the usage of the amount-place accounting assignment mechanism
– not more complicated than trigonometry, e.g. Its usage includes
information packaging and decompressing, as many ways of en- and decryption
as there can exist natural languages, and lots of exact definitions for
concepts that we derive from observing Nature, without as yet knowing how
to define them, e.g. gravitation, magnetism, chemical bondages, etc.

> The numeric model is well suited to serve as a construction to agree or
disagree on the meaning of the term “information”, as there is an interplay
between order, amount, place, time: the individual strands of the web
constituting the interplay may or may not be the case, and therein lies
information. Which manifestation(s) of “is the case” is connected to which
symbol(s) appears to be the essence of information, so there is ample room
to forge agreements on what we, precisely, understand under the term.

> Thanks again for the resurrection and may FIS become stronger and
healthier after the crisis.

> Karl

>> At 03:14 PM 2014-07-15, you wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear John,
>>>
>>> Thank you for this interesting perspective. Regarding the origin of the
>>> "limited band width" of physical processes, could this have its origin
in
>>> some regularity other than circularity? For example, the "continuous
going
>>> back and forth" (the phrase is Botero's) between opposing attitudes or
>>> states, alternately predominantly actual and potential?
>>

>> My understanding of waves is that is how they work, also similar
phenomena like pendula and oscillating springs, not to mention orbits.

>>> All natural processes, then, have a capacity for continuous information
>>> bearing. The problem is then the origin of /discreteness/, not only in
your
>>> countercase, which involves quantum particles, but at higher levels of
>>> interactions between complex entities! For me, the only solution is that
>>> continuity and discontinuity are properties of information which are
>>> not totally separate from one another.
>>

>> I was thinking more of billiard ball collisions, not ones that depend on
quantum states. In my article, "Causation is the transfer of information"
(available on my web site) and expanded in
>> Information, causation and computation (2012. Information and
Computation: Essays on Scientific and Philosophical Understanding of
Foundations of Information and Computation, Ed by Gordana Dodig Crnkovic
and Mark Burgin, World Scientific)
>> I use a formal notion of an information channel to deal with information
transmission in classical systems. There are special problems when the
dynamics are not computable, but I explain how the idea can work there as
well. I do, however, need more formal proofs of sufficiency at this time,
though. Fortunately, my approach does not require computation of the amount
of information transferred, so I suppose it could be infinite and still
work, but I doubt it is infinite in real processes. I suppose I will have
to work that out at some point, one way or the other.

colli...@ukzn.ac.za
>> Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South
Africa