Dear Bob,

What you are saying is the obverse of the third law of thermodynamics. The
third law says that entropy (viz., disorder) can only be measured with
respect to some reference condition. Since information is the complement
of entropy in Bayesian informatics, then the obverse becomes, "Information
can only be measured with respect to some reference state". (It may be the
same one used for pin down entropy.) Changing the reference state changes
the values for both information and entropy.

I tried elaborating those relationships in my FIS paper
<http://people.biology.ufl.edu/ulan/pubs/FISPAP.pdf>.

The best,
Bob U.