Dear Marcin and colleagues,

Many thanks for the sympathy and for the suggestion. I think your proposal is quite in the spirit of the fis initiative. Maintaining the academic code of conduct should be the First Rule of the list. The Second Rule, as is well known, says that only two messages per week are allowed. And the Third Rule, should be about clean posting. I mean, in order to placate the susceptibility of the server filters the messages should be addressed only to fis, exclusively, (a few other addresses might appear in the "cc", but the lesser the better), and not dragging old messages at the bottom is strongly recommended... Additionally, we have a fis steering committee (integrated by Yixin, Krassimir, Shu-Kun, and myself) that can arbitrate in contentious cases where the First Rule should apply.

Let us forget the present incident; always clarifying that FIS list is completely open to criticisms, first on fis itself, and also addressed to any other school or doctrine, either contemporary or from the past... knowing the opinion of "contrarians" is as much important as knowing the opinions of the followers. INFORMATION HAS ENORMOUSLY CHANGED OUR SCIENTIFIC-ECONOMIC-CULTURAL-SOCIAL WORLD AND WE NEED RADICALLY DIFFERENT IDEAS. By the way, there is an important work on "social physics" (but arguing from the information flow point of view) by Alex Pentland that in my opinion establishes the very foundations of "SOCIAL INFORMATION SCIENCE"--it is a pity, and possibly an error (?), that this author has placed his exciting research under the banner of physics.

best wishes ---Pedro

MARCIN Schroeder wrote:
Dear Pedro and FIS Colleagues,
I do not contribute much to FIS discussions, but always read them with interest. I found recent contributions from Soeren very disturbing. Actually, I feel insulted by them. I understand that the rules adopted by FIS require academic code of conduct. Personal atacks, or even argumenta ad personam directed at any member of the list are degrading discussion to the level beneath dignity of the academic discourse. I would like to propose that we stick to the old academic rule to ignore all contributions which are directed not against some views, opinions, statements or works, but against the person associated with them. Regards,
Marcin

Marcin J. Schroeder, Ph.D.
Professor
Akita International University