Dear FISers,

This discussion stirs reminiscences in me that go back
to my readings in medieval philosophy.  Please put up
with me if I recall them to you.

First, Peter Abelard — 12th century — gave a statue as
an example of what a "universal" (information?) is.  A
sculptor working on a marble block does not create
anything new: he/she just moves around small pieces
of marble and at the end of his/her work the marble
has just changed its "status", it can be called a statue.
And the "status" does not add or remove anything from
the world, it's not physical.  Only God can add or remove
things physical from the world.

 And how do you express this new "status" in linguistic
terms ?  through a verb-like expression such as "being-
a-statue".  And a verb-like expression is not a referential
one, it does not 'name' anything, it is a predicate.  Now
If you want to say something about a name-like expression,
or a predicate, you have to produce a second-order
statement.  And a second-order statement does not
describe the world, it is a rule or an "inference ticket"
(to use Gilbert Ryle's and Stephen Toulmin's expression)
to draw inferences about the world.

And that's my surmise about information.  It does
not constitute a principle of efficient or mechanical
causality, but it can be a causal principle albeit of a
different sort, and therefore it really is  something
in the world (Wheeler's "bit"?).  If you see something
as (recall Wittgenstein's "seeing as") a broken marble
block or just a lump of any sort — something not
infrequent in modern art :-) — you might decide to
dispose of it, but if you see it as a statue, you might
decide to put it in a gallery.  Which is just to say that
it is difficult, or impossible, to account for information
in terms of something else, but it is perhaps best advised
to assume it as a basic and primary constituent of the
world.

Please forgive me for these untimely observations,
but this discussion prompted me to bring them forth.

Best,                   -dino buzzetti

On 5 December 2014 at 07:15, Francesco Rizzo <13francesco.ri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Cari Tutti,
> Krassimir Markov ha ragione. L'informazione è un processo spazio-temporale
> statico-dinamico. Un'opera d'arte o un bene culturale è nello stesso tempo
> informato e informatore.Per questo è meglio parlare di tras-informazione.
> La Neuroinformation è la più alta e completa forma di tras-informazione
> emo-ra-zionale (intelligenza razionale e intelligenza emotiva). Essa si
> articola in : significazione, informazione, comunicazione. Triade semiotica
> indispensabile per comprendere e interpretare ogni  esistenza e ogni
> conoscenza del mondo fisico, psichico e metafisico. Qualunque scienza
> naturale o umana o sociale non può farne a meno.
> Grazie e auguri per Carolina Isiegas.
> Francesco Rizzo.

>>   Dear Bob,
>> I think, there is no conflict between two points of view – information
>> may be a process and it may be a static depending of what kind of
>> reflection it is.
>> For instance, we reflect the world around:
>> - as static - by photos, art images, sculptures, etc.;
>> - as dynamic - by movies, theater plays, ballet, etc.;
>> - and, at the end, by both types – by static text which creates dynamical
>> imaginations in our consciousness.
>> Friendly regards
>> Krassimir
>>
>> PS: This is my second post for this week. So, I say: Goodbye to the next
>> one!

Dino Buzzetti                                          formerly
Department of Philosophy     University of Bologna
                             currently
Fondazione per le Scienze Religiose Giovanni XXIII
​
via san Vitale, 114                   I-40125 Bologna BO
e-mail:  dino.buzzetti(at)gmail.com
             buzzetti(at)fscire.it
web: http://web.dfc.unibo.it/buzzetti/