Terry -- Replying

T: Stan: Abiotic dissipative structures will degrade their gradients as
fast as possible given the bearing constraints. They are unconditional
maximizers. Life that has survived has been able to apply conditions upon
its entropy production, but that does not mean that it has enacted energy
conservation or energy efficiency policies.  Its mode is still maximizing,
but within limits.

Your phrases "given the bearing constraints" and "within limits" are the
critical issues to be focused on in my opinion [as I noted in my response
to Guy].

S: Yes.

T: But I do indeed argue that living processes can and do enact entropy
rate regulating mechanisms. This is of course an empirical question, and

S: Do you know the multiple papers by Adrian Bejan?  He has shown that in
all systems (he has tackled LARGE numbers of them, including the living),
the system organizes so as to maximize access to the energy gradient it is
using.  I think that this is exactly what MEPP would predict.

T: I have seen studies suggesting both results. My point is only that
autogenesis (which I use as a proxy for the simplest life-like dynamic)

S: Do you know these papers on autogenesis?  They were dissatisfied with
autopoiesis because it did not admit evolutionary change.

Csányi, V. and G. Kampis (1989).  Autogenesis: the evolution of replicative
systems. Journal of Theoretical Biology 114: 303-321.

Kampis, G., 1991. Self-modifying Systems in Biology and Cognitive Science:
A New  Framework for Dynamics, Information and Evolution. London: Pergamon
Press.

T: is a dissipative system that regulates the boundary constraints on its
rate of dissipation, and that this non-linearity is a critical
game-changer.

S: Regulates downward from physical maxima, but does not go below the
fastest non-damaging rates, therefore is ‘maximizing given constraints’,

T: In particular, for this discussion, I argue that this
constraint-ratcheting effect—where a distinctive dynamical configuration
can change the boundary constraints on its own constraint dissipation
tendency—

S: This is not clear.  Constraints are usually not thought of as
dissipatable.  Perhaps an example?

T: is what makes reference and significance possible. The resulting higher
order synergy constraint is neither a physical nor chemical constraint, but
a formal constraint.

S: By “formal” I Take it you mean organizational or structural.

T: Because of this it is thereby

S: ‘Could thereby be’ ?

 substrate transferrable so that reference and significance are
maintainable despite complete replacement of physical substrates, i.e. via
reproduction.

S: Would an example be the use of yolk in embryos?

 Without this property biological evolution is not possible.

S: Is the property in question the “formal” organization?

STAN