Josh Bacigalupi here, fellow pirate.  Thank you all for this thoughtful
discussion.

Work is a fundamental focus of Terry's project.  We can all agree that the
creation of entropy is necessary to do work; such degradation of a gradient
is a necessary precondition of work potential, but not just any work.  The
specific kind of work that some self-entailed proto-cell does in its
environment must be such that it increases the chances that such nascent
agency will have increased the chances of its own propagation in that open
system.  Terry calls this teleodynamic work.

But this isn't even the most stringent requirement we place on ourselves.
Not only must this work be relevant to its own persistence, *the
constraints necessary to enact this specific dynamic must be able to
persist for some finite time in the absence of any gradient what-so-ever.*
In other words, Terry's hypothesized "autogen" is specifically conceived to
retain the capacity to do self-efficacious work even after local chemical
equalibrium has been attained.

Once a gradient is again available, any viable autogen must be able to
restart the very specific co-constraints of auto-catalysis and
self-organized containment, a process that we suggest must be able to both
self-repair and create new sets of co-constraint in wholly novel
substrates.  This, in effect, spans the ontological gap from the vast
majority of physico-chemical dynamics to the first distinct dynamic of a
measurable medium of informational significance, whose benchmark of
significance is the persistence of autogenic constraints.

Although intriguing, we are skeptical when speculating about vastly more
complex and likely intentional agents, like bacterium, or clearly
intentional agents, like humans.  We suggest that focus on a priori
intentional agency skips the distinct logical step from ubiquitous
self-organizing dynamics, where rate of entropy production is increased
(dissipating not only the external gradient but the internal organization
itself), to the relatively rare "teleodynamics", where rate of entropy and
work production are mitigated by the autogen's normative relation to its
surroundings.

Cheers,
Josh