Dear Pedro, Dear FISers,

        Terrence Deacon has made a passionate plea for the proper consideration
of his approach to information science that his contribution merits. But this
consideration is only possible if he is willing to accept that some of his
positions may be contaminated with assumptions in a way that he correctly
criticizes in others. As a specific example, we can all easily understand and
agree that the incorporation of ‘homunculi’, that is, unproven mechanisms, as
explanatory, should be avoided. In my view, however, Terry has a small army of
homunculi at work (sic!) who insure that his processes of self-organization,
self-reconstitution and ‘spontaneous’ self-assembly can take place! The
finality of using his simulated autogenic systems is “a rigorous physical
foundation upon which” future complex theories of information may be based. If,
as I contend, Terry’s approach has failed to take into account the
fundamentally dualistic physical properties of real systems, it is hard to see
how it could do so.

In his reply to Loet, regarding cognitive processes, Terry writes: “As I have
said a number of times, my goal is not to deal with all aspects of the
information concept, and certainly not at the level of human thought. I merely
propose to dissolve the implicit dualism in our current concepts at the most
basic level, so that for example it will be possible to develop a
scientifically grounded theory of molecular biosemiotics.” No-one can argue
with his first sentence, but the second has the implication that dualism at the
most basic level in concepts should be absent when it is present in reality.
Again, we can all reject the straw-man of mind-body dualism. But the dualisms
that do exist in nature must be reflected in concepts or the latter are outside
nature and outside science. The pair presence-absence is one of these that I
have offered, so far without comment, as one of these.

As a substitute for what is referred to as ‘the implicit dualism in our current
concepts’, Terry seems to offer a repeated reliance on the Peircean categories
as having explanatory power. I have discussed, accessibly, why these categories
amount to epistemic classifications, a position that is in fact confirmed by a
member of Terry’s group. Ontological approaches, which if looked at closely
differ from the ones Terry correctly criticizes, are given a back of the hand
dismissal that suggests that the writers may not be familiar enough with them
to make the distinction.

A point of agreement between Terry and me is that a concept of quantum
information should not be mixed with one of thermodynamic information. This
does not mean, however, that the some of the dual aspects of quantum entities
are not relevant for thermodynamic processes, including the properties,
production and transfer of information. Terry is absolutely correct to question
the so-called ‘it-from-bit’ theory of information in its simplest form. Again,
however, alternatives are available at the heart of which is exactly the
‘overlap’ between physics and information that Pedro calls for, e.g., those of
Luhn and myself.

I think Krassimir has a good point in concluding that we have a problem of
civilization and that all our efforts, scientific and philosophical, should be
made with the common good at the center of our preoccupations. This is the
theme of the Vienna Summit 2015. Information offers the ground on which
standard physical and biological as well as social and psychological reality
can meet. It is from the most complex, interactive, recursive aspects of these
realities as well as from the simplest that we must learn. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Joseph

>>> 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
>>> Tfno. +34 976 71 3526 (& 6818)