Dear All,

RE: Steven Ericsson-Zenith (I am not sure that your comment was posted to FIS)

The phrase "dynamical constraint" should not be that unfamiliar or
difficult to parse.
Constraint on the degrees of freedom of a dynamical system is the most
obvious (and the meaning that I have in mind), though I suppose that
there could also be other meanings that are possible (such as might
characterize the increase in convectional correlation in the formation
of Bénard convection cells). I don't see that the notion of constraint
need be restricted to some extrinsically imposed static boundary
condition.

As far as I can tell, this concept is quite unrelated to my friend Stu
Kauffman's use of "Yuk or Yum" (a normative—not
physico-chemical—distinction), which of course can only apply to
something like a living system that is organized to perpetuate its
organization by utilizing external resources and avoiding dangerous
extrinsic conditions. Indeed, I believe that my simple model of an
autogentic system provides an unambiguous description of the minimal
dynamical system organization necessary to determine a
self/environment relation that embodies an intrinsic good-for/bad-for
valuation.

In any case, I don't see any reason to think that my use of the
concept of dynamical constraint, or constraint in general, to explore
the nature of information and agency should imply that this is a case
of "posterior determination" rather than an acquired disposition that
organizes an autonomous agent's adaptive responses to extrinsic
conditions. I hope that this clears up any confusion that my use of
this term evoked.

RE: Joseph Brenner

I think that we are largely in agreement.  And I think that you
accurately locate our differences in how we understand the
contribution of quantum-atomic-molecular properties to these dynamical
properties, and to the relationship we call informational. I am
generally of the opinion that non-classical quantum effects percolate
up to the molecular scale and higher only if very special conditions
prevail (such as in photosynthesis), and that otherwise the
statistical nature of these influences results in canceling effects.
To me it is a bit analogous to the classical vs relativistic
distinction in which at mesoscopic spatio-temporal scales (and well
below c) relativistic effects can be neglected without any significant
error effects. But I agree that this means that (in principle) both
extreme scale effects "can sometimes" be relevant, and are ultimately
part of the complete picture. I just don't see how these effects
change the dynamical system requirements that determine how a relation
of reference or significance is intrinsically established for that
system (i.e. IN and BY that system independent of this being assessed
by an external "observer" - whether explicitly or implicitly).

As to the various interpretations of the quantum measurement problem,
I also agree that my view is not the mainstream view, but it is not
purely idiosyncratic either. There is more work needed here. For me,
to make the claim that quantum indeterminacy is the "... foundation of
the dualisms at higher levels of reality" abandons the most
interesting game in town by just positing its irresolvability. To me
this just ends inquiry into this interesting mystery by invoking
another mystery that is claimed to be irresolvable. I take the view of
Richard Feynman who said about quantum physics "... I don't understand
it. Nobody does" — by which he means that nobody has a clear idea of
why it must be the way it is. I am skeptical of those who claim they
know, or know that it has no deeper resolution. In this respect, I am
comfortable in my minority opinion.

But disagreement at this most basic theoretical level doesn't
undermine our ability to come to a convergent understanding of many of
the higher-order phenomena we have discussed, including the
organization of dynamical systems able to intrinsically determine the
reference and significance of information. In this and other arenas I
look forward to interesting critical debates to shed more light on
these concepts.

Thanks, Terry