Dear Dai:

To say that molecules only interact directly is to ignore the metabolic
matrix that constitutes the actual agency in living systems. For example,
we read everywhere how DNA/RNA "directs" development, when the molecule
itself is a passive material cause. It is the network of proteomic and
enzymatic reactions that actually reads, interprets and edits the
primitive genome. Furthermore, the structure of that reaction complex
possesses measurable information (and complementary flexibility).

Life is not just molecules banging into one another. That's a physicist's
(Lucreatian) view of the world born of models that are rarefied,
homogeneous and (at most) weakly interacting. (Popper calls them vacuum
systems.) The irony is that that's not how the cosmos came at us! Vacuum
systems never appeared until way late in the evolution of the cosmos. So
the Lucreatian perspective is one of the worst ways to try to make sense
of life. We need to develop a perspective that parallels cosmic evolution,
not points in the opposite direction. To do so requires that we shift from
"objects moving according to universal laws" to "processes giving rise to
other processes" (and structures along the way).

The contrast is most vividly illustrated in reference to the origin of
life. Conventional metaphysics requires us to focus on molecules, whereby
the *belief* is that at some point the molecules will miraculously jump up
and start to live (like the vision of the Hebrew prophet Ezekiel). A
process-oriented scenario would consist of a spatially large cycle of
complementary processes (e.g., oxidation and reduction) that constitutes a
thermodynamic work cycle. Those processes then can give rise to and
support smaller cycles, which eventually develop into something resembling
metabolic systems. A far more consistent progression!

Of course, this view is considered catastrophically heterodox, so please
don't repeat it if you don't already have tenure. ;-)

Peace,
Bob U.