Dear Colleagues and Reasoned Opponents,

A scientific position may be the object of rational disagreement and
discussion, but the 'ganging up' of some individuals on a highly respected
colleague is disgraceful and unacceptable. By this note I am suggesting to
Pedro that Ericsson-Zenith, Sherman and Abundis be removed from the group.

The formulation of Loet's comment was somewhat rapid, since the key questions
are 'what physics, what mathematics (and what logic)". As Loet knows well, he
and I do not agree on all issues surrounding information. Here I believe he
might have been over-reacting to speakers at the conference who took
superannuated postions on the physical grounding of information.

Among these positions is the idea that there must be exact, immutable
defintions and terminology, as if we were not all involved in a complex
learning process. Who is doing the alleged 'needless blurring of terms'? If
after all this Abundis is still wondering how he can contribute, as he has
already said, perhaps he should draw the obvious conclusion.

The inability to engage in civilized debate corresponds to an enormous LOSS of
information in our Information Society. I would not blame the new media, since
they are only tools, but they enable the very facile expression of some ideas
better left for other venues.

Sadly,

Joseph