Dear Howard and FIS colleagues,

Many thanks for your exciting comments; dealing first with Koichiro's intriguing point on action and probabilities, I think it links with the Quantum Bayesianism we discused last year in the list (von Baeyer's FIS New Year Lecture), and also with Karl Frinston's distributions / representations of probabilities in cerebral areas within an overarching entropy-minimization principle (it is not a physical entropy, and reminding Loet's comment, I think he was quite right with his contentious message of 15 June!). Action is but the forgotten other side the epistemic coin. Not to forget that a motor-centered epistemology has been recently discussed too.

Responding to Howard's below, rather than making further interleaving, I will continue with a unitary text. In my view, the new informational thinking is slowly taking shape in a variety of fields, and the reference to Witzany's work on the viruses' social dynamics, is an excellent exponent on how carefully following the very dynamics of life, we may arrive at similar conceptual scenarios. My point is that biological communication (as well as human) does not occur in a vacuum where whatever combinatory game may be played. The life cycle of the entity is the big watcher of communication, not just passively waiting for some stimulus passing by, but actively deploying a series of molecular or supramolecular actions that for instance conduce to receive the appropriate information/communication or to engage in locomotor exploration. In general, action stemming out from the cycle --or "propensity" to action-- comes first, regarding the possible information gathered and the responses to be observed later on. Each life cycle has capability to deploy autonomously a very vast repertoire of adaptive actions / behaviors / communications that overall should conduce to its own advancement. So, the reliance on "stimulus-response" becomes a dubious way of lumping together the animate and the inanimate (a mere electromagnetic relay would also provide S-R behavior), leaving aside the most precious stuff of life: its informational organization in an autonomous, self-propelled life-cycle. It is a life-cycle that besides, has to take place in a highly complex and challenging ecological niche and within a tricky social environment. To reiterate the main point: the living is not S-R mechanistic, is "informational".

And what is information? I agree with Howard's "relative" approach to information. I think that, together with Marcin, we must organize a future discussion-session in the list to analyze this most integrative stance. I think that this view now is mature enough to be publicly discussed (and has already appeared in the literature occasionally). My personal contention is that a similar relative conceptualization may be extended to other "informational entities" (viruses, cells, organisms, brains, social groups and institutions, societies at large...) that also communicate in order to advance their self-production processes. Precisely in economy, we may understand that prices emerge as the information which connects and integrates the ACTIONS of producers and consumers allowing the self-organization of the whole. Obviously, the market information is exchanged in order to improve the condition of the individuals, and in aggregate to advance their own life cycles. Similarly, in physiological "markets" between cells, molecular signals --really an information flow-- would also be exchanged to coordinate the actions emerging from the ongoing life-cycles.

If we consider that biological communication, and in general the communication of "informational entities" is tied to the maintenance and advancement of their self-production processes, the discussion of meaning follows quite naturally. Meaning becomes the impact of the information received upon the self-production process itself. In bio-molecular terms, meaning may be exactly enacted through a vastly used procedure, microarray experiments. By knocking down a particular receptor,or continuously keeping it "on", we see the "meaning" effects that the specific signaling condition has on gene expression, on the whole cellular self-production. Meaningful communication begets relevant self-production changes. Then, lets generalize that informational entities are those that systematically intertwine the information (communication) flows and the energy (self-production) flows. The information derived from communication widely circulates and gets mixed with the inner self-production processes, adaptively changing the ongoing operations that constitute the "metabolic life" of the entity. That's the existential fate of all informational entities: they are adaptive, structurally always in the making, and in the dismantling.

And the "dismantling" connects very nicely with the conditions that Howard establishes for the functioning of a "collective learning machine", a global brain. The quintet of essential conditions includes: conformity enforcers, diversity generators, inner-judges, resource shifters, and intergroup tournaments (herein I am responding to another off-line exchange). Depending on the different kinds of informational entities, those conditions appear in some way or in another. For my taste, they could also be expressed in less Darwinian a way, also with emphasis in the cooperative dynamics and the associate behavioral propensities--bonding, enjoyment, love, sociotype making... which I think is more balanced and realistic. In any case, for our times, it is very important to openly establish and discuss --from new premises, looking for new principles-- the biological and social underpinning of informational phenomena at large. Whether the inanimate may be accommodated or not within this new way of thinking, I think it can be done. Time will tell.

Best--Pedro