Hi, Howard.
Answering your question "hb: i'm a newcomer to these discussions.  what is
the fourth great domain of science?" Might be useful also for who came in
the FIS list  after 2015 IS4IS Summit.
The last discussion before the conference, was "A Dialog on the
Informational as the 4th Great Domain of Science". A copy of the post is in
the end of this message.
Based on a Pedros's paper and Rosenbloom's book we propose that all
scientific disciplines could be a combination of 4 great scientific
domains. We are looking for a method to verify that the informational is
the 4th great domain. Maybe Loet's Maps of Science should be a good
approach.

Cheers

Moisés

--
Moisés André Nisenbaum
Doutorando IBICT/UFRJ. Professor. Msc.

*A Dialog on the Informational as the 4th Great Domain of Science*
*Moisés André Nisenbaum & Ken Herold*

*PART 1:  **Informational as the 4th Great Domain of Science*
(Moisés André Nisenbaum)

To classify is human (BOWKER & STAR 2000). The organization of scientific
knowledge is concern of scientists long ago. It started as a matter of
librarianship and has evolved over time using various tools like
enumerative classification, faceted classification, universal
classification, controlled vocabulary, thesaurus, ontologies, Semantic Web.
But how Information Science should organize scientific knowledge taking
into account the dynamic behavior of disciplines and multi, inter and
trans-disciplinary science of the twenty-first century (Information
Society)?

Rosenbloom (2012) proposed a model in which four great Scientific Domains -
Physical (P) Life (L), social (S) and Computing (C) - can becombined to
form any discipline
<http://moisesandre.com.br/FIS/debate/images/rosembloom-figure-2.1-domains-composing-disciplines.jpg>.
The first three (P, L and S) are "well known" domains and he proposes that
the 4th is Computing. The small number of domains (compared with 10 of DDC
and UDC) is offset by dynamic
<http://moisesandre.com.br/FIS/debate/images/Rosenbloom-figure-2.9-relationships.jpg>
 relationships
<http://moisesandre.com.br/FIS/debate/images/Rosenbloom-figure-2.2-domains-simple-relations.jpg>
between
domains that can be written by Metascience Expression Language
<http://moisesandre.com.br/FIS/debate/images/Rosenbloom-table-2.1-ME-Language.jpg>.
Although the prerequisites of a Great Scientific Domain has been well
developed, Rosenbloom does not explain why they are in number of four or
why these specific four domains.

NAVARRO, MORAL and Marijuan (2013) propose that the 4th Great Scientific
Domain is the Informational (I) instead of Computing. However, the biggest
proposal is that the Information Science needs to be rethought to support
theoretically and methodologically this 4th Great Scientific Domain. At the
end of the article, the authors propose the insertion of the four Great
Scientific Domains
<http://moisesandre.com.br/FIS/debate/images/Map-Pedro.jpg> in
High-Resolution Map of Sciences (Bollen at all, 2009)
<http://moisesandre.com.br/FIS/debate/images/Map-Bollen.jpg>

The problem is that all this is still in its "philosophical field" and miss
a more pragmatic approach. When I observed this map, I just thought about
how to measure these four domains and, even without even knowing exactly
how to do this, I asked Bollen the raw data of his research. My initial
idea was to identify every scientific discipline by a mathematical entity,
for example a digital 4x4 matrix representing quantitatively the four Great
Scientific Domain components and their relationships. The problem how to
establish the criteria (bibliometric) that would define the matrix
elements. Once created, we can check if the matrices really come together
as expected.

Best,
Moisés