    *From:* Pedro C. Marijuan <mailto:pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>
    *To:* 'fis' <mailto:fis@listas.unizar.es>
    *Sent:* Friday, December 11, 2015 1:36 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Fis] Sustainability through multilevel research:

    Dear FISers,

    I agree with Loet's views (for once! :-) ).  The energy flow
    supporting the biosphere and society as a whole have not much
    explanatory power regarding the bonding complexity of contemporary
    societies. Of course, it is an interesting exercise, particularly
    concerning the limits of sustainability, but we have had so much
    thermodynamic inflation that it is very difficult adding anything
    relevant. Irrespective of its sophistication, the energetic realm
    can hardly substitute for the informational realm.
    About the intriguing interrelationship between kinship and
    nonkinship modalities of human bonding, a very interesting view
    was drafted by Francis Fukuyama (1995), centered on "trust". He
    was distinguishing between "familial" centered societies and "high
    trust" societies. In European terms (exaggerating), it is the
    dichotomy between the Mediterranean societal culture and the
    Anglosaxon culture. It is not a black and white narrative, as each
    polarity has advantages and disadvantages (think on wine &
    Mediterranean food!), and actually today each country and each
    culture has some terrible mix of everything, but it is interesting
    just to see how the two kinds of bonding may interact within a
    complex society.  I also penned a few ideas about the matter in my
    recent "How the Living is in the world"  (DOI information:
    10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2015.07.002.) I am copying below a paragraph
    (maybe a little bit long--excuses). /

    This coarse reflection on the dynamics of successive
    “informational entities” helps us make sense of fundamentals of
    social evolution. The transition to a new social order, more or
    less ‘revolutionary’, tends to be produced by new information
    channels and communication practices that support the emergence of
    new ways to organize the structures of social self-production.
    Thus, the development of social complexity appears as irreversibly
    linked to a chain of historical inventions for communication and
    knowledge generation: numbers, writing, alphabet, codices,
    universities, printing press, books, steam engines, means of
    communication, computers, Internet, etc. (Stonier, 1990; Hobart
    and Schiffman, 1998). This succession of fundamental inventions
    has dramatically altered the “infostructure” of modern societies,
    and subsequently the informational formula for being in the world
    has been applied with multiple variants along that complexity
    runaway: with plenty of room generated by the new information
    tools, not at the bottom but at the supra-individual top. We
    should not forget that the momentous Scientific Revolution was
    preceded by what has been called the silent “corporate revolution”
    (Huff, 2011), which opened the way for collective organizations
    legally autonomous in European cities during XIII and XIV
    centuries: universities, parliaments, counsels, municipalities,
    professional colleges, guilds, mercantile associations, charities,
    schools, etc. It was this Medieval awakening in the cities of
    Western Europe what made possible the later hyperinflation of
    autonomous collective organizations, –“information based”– growing
    exponentially and propelling all the further complexity of modern
    societies./

    All the best--Pedro

    Loet Leydesdorff wrote:

    Dear colleagues,

    I don’t consider it as fruitful to recycle the argument that
    society were to be modeled as a meta-biology. The biological
    explanation can perhaps explain behavior of individuals and
    institutions; but social coordination more generally involves
    also the dynamics of expectations. These are much more abstract
    although conditioned by the historical layer. For example, one
    cannot expect to explain the /trias politica/ or the rule of law
    biologically. These cultural constructs regulate our behavior
    from above, whereas the biological supports existence and living
    from below. The historical follows the axis of time, whereas the
    codification (albeit historical in the instantiations) also
    restructures and potentially intervenes and reorganizes social
    relations from the perspective of hindsight.

    In analogy to codifications such as the juridical ones,
    scientific knowledge provides the code for technological
    intervention. This type of knowledge is human-specific; perhaps,
    we are also able to build machines that mimick it. This
    technological evolution is going on for centuries. If I look up
    from my screen, I look into the gardens which have a typical
    Dutch polder vegetation. The polder was made in the 17^th century
    and replaced the natural ecology of marsh land and lakes. The
    order of the explanation was thus inverted: the constructed
    structures (instead of the constructing agencies) increasingly
    carry the system. The constructs don’t have to be material; see
    my example of the rule of law. It is not a religion, but a
    dynamics of expectations. Replacing it with a biology misses the
    point.

    Best,

    Loet

    Loet Leydesdorff

    Professor, University of Amsterdam
    Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

    l...@leydesdorff.net <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net>;
    http://www.leydesdorff.net/
    Honorary Professor, SPRU,
    <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of Sussex;