good commentary, pedro.

where do compassion and love--the archangel principle--fit into  the
lucifer principle?  and why have groups progressed in  complexity since the end
of the last ice age eleven thousand years ago?

to form a superorganism, a cohesive group, you need huge amounts of
collaboration and cooperation.  love is one cohesive force, one bonding
element,
one form of social glue.  justice is another.

justice resolves differences in the group without violence.  justice  is at
work in chimpanzee societies, where new leaders are required to uphold the
weak and the downtrodden and to settle disputes.  if a new leader doesn't
understand this imperative and is a mere bully, the females in the group
oust  him from power.

justice is at work in !Kung San societies, where the days are devoted to
hunting and gathering and the nights are devoted to story telling and dispute
 resolution.

but where does the increasing complexity of human societies come  from?
humans are drawn to the sight of other humans.  when architects  in the 1960s
tried to fashion contemplative spaces around office buildings so  the
buildings'  inhabitants could get a touch of calm during lunch hours,  it
didn't
work.  the buildings' workers shunned the contemplative spots and  sat on the
buildings' outdoor steps.  why?  to watch the sight of  other people going
by on the sidewalk.

we love the sight of others.  and the more others, the better.   from that
impulse came cities.  from that impulse came smartphones and  facebook.

but guess what?  the more communication and the more information  exchange,
the more collaboration.  and the richer and more long-distance  that
collaboration becomes.  the more global.

the more we communicate, the more group iq we add to the global  brain.
(the topic of my second book, Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass  Mind from
the Big Bang to the 21st Century)

one more thing.  nature seems to have  an inexorable itch for  novelty.
and we, nature's children, are novelty hunters too.  from  our itch for
novelty comes, guess what?   innovation.

put innovation and increasing group size together and you get a long-term
march forward, a march in which humans do the cosmos' work--helping her
reinvent  herself.  helping her lift herself up the staircase of shock and
creativity. the staircase of complexity. the staircase of the  supersized
surprise.

with warmth and oomph--howard

In a message dated 1/5/2016 12:23:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,