Koichiro, Bob U., Pedro:

Recent posts here illustrate the fundamental discord between modes of human
communication.  Pedro’s last post neatly addresses the immediate issue.

 But, the basic issue goes far, far deeper.

The challenge of communicating our meanings is not restricted to just
scientific meaning vs. historical meaning.  Nor, communication between the
general community and, say, the music (operatic and ballad) communities.

Nor, is it merely a matter of definition of terms and re-defining terms as
“metaphor” in another discipline.

Pedro’s post aims toward the deeper issues, issues that are fairly known and
understood in the symbolic  logic and chemical communities.  In the chemical
community, the understanding is at the level of intuition because ordinary
usage within the discipline requires an intuitive understanding of the way
symbolic usage manifests itself in different disciplines.

(For a detailed description of these issues, see, The Primary Logic,
Instruments for a dialogue between the two Cultures. M. Malatesta, Gracewings,
Fowler Wright Books, 1997.)

The Polish Logician, A. Tarski, recognized the separation of meanings and
definitions requires the usage of METALANGUAGES.  For example, ordinary public
language is necessary for expression of meaning of mathematical symbolic logic.
 But, from the basic mathematical language, once it grounded in ordinary
grammar, develops new set of symbols and new meanings for relations among
mathematical symbols.  Consequently, mathematicians re-define a long index of
terms that are have different meanings in its technical language.

 The meaning of mathematical terms is developed from an associative logic that
is foreign to ordinary language.  From these antecedents, the consequences are
abundantly clear. The communication between the meta-languages fail. The
mathematicians have added vast symbolic logical structures to their symbolic
communication with symbols. In other words, the ordinary historian and
scientist are not able to grasp the distinctive meanings of mathematical
information.

Physical information is restricted to physical units of measure and hence
constrained to borrowing mathematical symbols and relating to the ordinary
language as its meta-language.

The perplexity of chemical information theory is such that it is not
understandable in any one meta-language or any pair of meta-languages.  In
order for symbolic chemical communication to occur, the language must go far
beyond such simplistic notions of a primary interaction among forces, such as
centripetal orbits or even the four basic forces.

The early metalanguage of chemistry was merely terms within ordinary language,
such as the names of elements. Or, the common names for oils from various
sources. Around the turn of the 19 th Century, the metalanguage of chemistry
started it century-long journey to become a meta-language of mathematics with
the development of the concepts of atomic weights for each singular elements
and molecular weight, and molecular formula for each different molecule.

The critical distinction that separates the meta-language of chemistry from
other metalanguages is the absolute requirement for specification of the name
of any object on the basis of it’s distinction from other signs or collections
of signs.

Thus, chemical information theory, in terms of metalanguages, requires the
exact usage of the meta-languages of both physics and mathematics in order to
define the origin of its symbolic logic, as well as the natural metalanguage of
ordinary human communication.

Biological information theory is grounded on chemical information theory, using
a particular encoding of meaning within dynamical systems, to communicate among
the 5 essential metalanguages necessary for the practice of the medical arts.
And, I might add, for human history.

The failure of luke-warm physics to serve as a foundation for a generalized
information theory is the lack of terminology that can be used to communicate
among the symbolic logics used in more advanced modes of human communication.

In summary, in the 21 st Century, the foundation of human symbolic
communication  requires multiple metalanguages and symbol systems, that is, a
generalized information theory.  Such a generalized theory  of information must
necessarily include the symbolic logic of chemistry, which is essential to span
the  symbolic gaps between the disciplines.

(For those of you who are familiar with my background, this email illuminates
some of the reasoning behind the development of the perplex number system and
perplex systems theory within the associative symbolic logic of graph theory.)

Cheers

Jerry