Dear FISers

A naïve view of hardrons interaction (Wikipedia animation below) would
convince us that Quarks yes communicate.
Animation:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Nuclear_Force_anim.gif

The merriam-webster definition of Communication is: “an act or instance of
transmitting”, “information transmitted or conveyed”

Therefore, the definition of ‘communication’ depends on definition of
‘information’ that, I agree with Bob Logan, is context dependent.

In my opinion, in a ‘Physics research’ context, Quarks will communicate if
this approach is useful to solve problems. If the language and tools of
theory of communication is useful to solve physics problems, that’s ok,
they communicate.

Remember the concept of ‘Energy’ only was defined when it was useful to
solve thermal machines problems. The same approach was used by Tom Stonier:
“Operationally -just as energy is defined in terms of its capacity to
perform work - so is information defined in terms of its capacity to
organize a system” (STONIER, 1996)

He used the Shannon’s information Theory as starting point to redefine
information to be useful to solve problems.

In the same way, one could define (if it is useful) a ‘new’ type of
communication that can help us understand the concept of ‘force’ as
exchanging particles. However, as Stonier said, “Acceptance of the theory
would require paradigm shifts in a number of interrelated areas”.

Reference:
STONIER, T. [Stonier] Information as a basic property of the universe.PDF.
Biosystems, v. 38, p. 135–140, 1996.

> Dear FISers,
>
> The most scientific aspect of the recent exchanges is their existence. It
> is obvious that some people feel more comfortable than others in ascribing
> properties to quantum particles that are characteristic of the
> thermodynamic world in which we exist, in particular difference (let us
> forget, if possible, Peirce's 'mind').
>
> At one point, I myself said that quantum particles are, following the
> principles of Logic in Reality, distinguishable AND indistinguishable, the
> former by virtue of a minimum difference in 'location' of two particles in
> space-time, let alone any difference in properties. Today, I am less sure;
> this description, and Bob's, begs the question of whether quarks change in
> 'time'; what 'position' means; and whether the term 'dynamic' can properly
> be used with regard to them.
>
> Pedro and others of you will note that we are returning to the questions
> left unresolved in the discussion of Conrad's
> 'fluctuons', namely, is it proper to refer to changes that occur in levels
> that we cannot access, even with extensions of our senses, and not even
> characterize as temporal or spatial, as information. As noted in the first
> paragraph above, this seems to be turning out to be as much a psychological
> question as a physical one.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Joseph
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert E. Ulanowicz" <u...@umces.edu>

Moisés André Nisenbaum
Doutorando IBICT/UFRJ. Professor. Msc.
Instituto Federal do Rio de Janeiro - IFRJ
Campus Rio de Janeiro
moises.nisenb...@ifrj.edu.br