Dear Emanuel,

An invitation to submit does not mean that the paper will be published.
Open access (OA) journals publishers send numerous emails to convince
authors to submit.
Sometimes it is done at the occasion of a conference, and it can be even
mentioned on the conference website.
If all the submitted manuscripts would be published, the quality of the OA
journals would be very poor.
This indeed happens for predatory journals and publishers, for which almost
all manuscripts are published provided that the authors pay the page charge.
Fortunately, a serious journal have an editor, and the job of this latter
is to decide if submitted manuscripts should be published or not.
The word "invitation" is also used for conferences.
As for journals, it just means that you are welcome to submit a
contribution, but without any guarantee that it will be accepted (a true
invited contribution is ususally associated to a funding, at least partial).
When a journal paper is invited, in the sense that anyway it will be
published (possibly after corrections), it is explicitely mentioned by the
editor in his invitation letter.
In the case of your paper, I do not see any contradiction between the
invitation and the rejection.

Best regards,

Michel Petitjean
MTi, INSERM UMR-S 973, University Paris 7,
35 rue Helene Brion, 75205 Paris Cedex 13, France.
Phone: +331 5727 8434; Fax: +331 5727 8372
E-mail: petitjean.chi...@gmail.com (preferred),
        michel.petitj...@univ-paris-diderot.fr
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html