Dear all,
Just a quick reply to Howard's fascinating account of cosmic history.

It seems what is crucially needed is a theory that brings together "brute
force" on the one hand - laws of nature "blindly" colliding and colluding,
from quarks to planets - and "information" on the other - from pre-human
codes (perhaps including quantum computation) and communication to advanced
human and cybernetic networks.

The former seems to be able to do away with everything except a few simple
rules of operation (gravity, natural selection, will-to-power), everything
more complex being the unfolding of the interaction between these few
simple rules (eternal or emergent is beside the point here). The latter
seems to depend upon subjective interpretation, the retention of systems
memory, symbolic coding-decoding, and other processes that compose only a
subset of the (creatures and processes) of the universe. Never the twain
shall meet.

Or perhaps brute force can be analyzed as equivalent to information? Or
vice versa? Or as two sides of the same coin?

Best,
Otto Lehto,
Tampere, Finland