To all FIS colleagues:

If I may be permitted a few last words before we close this session—-
by no means final words (!)for further thoughts and discussion should
be possible, as you suggest, Plamen—-I would like to post the following:

(1): Phenomenology as practice and knowledge cannot be separated;
phenomenological methodology is integral to bona fide phenomenological
findings. If something is termed “phenomenological” but the methodology
is not followed, then either one should re-define how they are using the
term “phenomenological” to describe the work or the work is a work of-—
to use Plamen’s term—-the “inner self,” the work being “This is what I think.” In effect, in a way similar to the way in which scientific methodology prescribes a distancing from the object of investigation, so phenomenological methodology
prescribes a distancing from the object of investigation.

(2): Husserl’s fundamental concern was how we come to know the world and build our knowledge of it, hence with perception and cognition, hence with an I-world relationship. The methodology he constructed is integral to bona fide understandings and knowledge of that relationship. Being true to the truths of experience is,
in short, integral to phenomenological practice and knowledge.

(3): I was hoping—-and am still hoping—-that someone would take up the challenge of doing a phenomenological analysis of information. Perhaps the possibility of someone’s doing a bona fide phenomenological investigation of information will take shape—-perhaps someone will take the challenge seriously. The relationship of meaning to information and of information to meaning might then be undertaken. That step, to my mind, would provide solid ground for linking informational sciences and phenomenology, linking by way of showing—-demonstrating--complementarities.

Cheers,
Maxine