Dear Soren,
I want to make a further comment on

"It thus seems obvious that Bateson's “pattern that con­nects” includes the
phenomeno­logical-emotional dimen­sion in its concept of mind but viewed as
computational thoughts of relation, not as first person experiences.
Cybernetics does not have a theory of qualia and emotion – not even in
Bateson’s theories.”

There is a reason why I read Bateson as I do. I take difference to mean
distinction in the sense of GSB (Spencer-Brown). This means that
I take seriously GSB’s statement that “We now see that the observer and the
mark are in the form identical.” That is, I see a distinction as arising with
both a difference and an awareness of that difference. I am not very happy with
the notion of a ‘first person experience’ but could take most distinctions for
an observer to be just that: ‘first person experiences’. Then, agreed we are
not here giving a theory of how such experiences arise.

We are not delimiting how a distinction can arise. But the arising of a
distinction is the arising of an awareness that is inextricably associated with
that difference. The difference is one that has awareness. This is not yet at
the level of a perceived difference except as that difference perceives (is
aware of) itself. The awareness associated with a distinction is in the first
place coallaesced with it. For the awareness to become aware of itself is yet
another distinction and it is at this point that we have a difference that
makes a difference. It may be that what I preach is not Bateson at all,but an
amalgam of Bateson and GSB. Bateson wanted to keep the theory of types. GSB
understands in the coalescence of awareness and distinction, that there is no
need for the theory of types. My cybernetics begins with GSB.

One more sally. You write in the form “Cybernetics does not …” as though there
were one cybernetics. And there is. And no one has yet expressed it. Here we
are indeed herding cats. Each person in that field called (second order)
cybernetics comes to an awareness and a distinction of cybernetics that is his
or her own. Our latest fad is to point to cybernetics as a ‘science of
context’. This is not wrong, not even wrong, but it can work as a conversation
starter. Cybernetics is, has been, and I submit always will be in process of
finding something about
itself. So it is NOT FAIR to point fingers at Cybernetics. Feel free to
criticize the theories of various fallibles like Bateson and the rest. They do
their best.

Oh. And now this ‘computational thoughts’. Oy. What the heck is a computational
thought? A thought is not a thought without awareness.
There are computations. They are patterns that can be viewed by an awareness
and can be appreciated, generalized, understood, thrown in the wastebasket,
whatever. But to imagine that mechanical computation (that is the metaphor you
promote by your language) can give rise to  or be equivalent to mind, that is
absurd. People like Penrose try to prove that it is absurd, but it is just
absurd. We carefully separated the mechanical from the thought-suffused part
and then suggested that the part of this distinction that has no thought can
give rise to thought!

Absurd? Of course not. Any thing is identical to what it is not. The widest
extension of the mechanical fully delineates what is not mechanical. We will
come fully upon the mind by going to the limits of mechanism. But this does not
say that mind arises from mechanism.
Nor does it say that mechanism arises from mind. There is a marvelous pair
mind/mechanism and that should be investigated to the hilt.
Best,
Lou

Dear Soren,
Excellent!
What it amounts to is that you and I interpret all this a bit differently.
I am happy with Bateson’s unmarked states and his
                                                                "All that is
for the preacher
> The hypnotist, therapist and missionary
> They will come after me