Ladies & Gentlemen:

To conserve on my postings, I would like to consolidate three comments:

The first is an addendum by Dr. Ed Dellian, historian of science regarding
the linear vs. quadratic forms of energy in QM. I append them below.

Secondly, I note Mark Johnson’s remarks:

"More deeply, Bateson’s highlighting of the difference between the way
we think and the way nature works is important. How can a concept of
information help us to think in tune with nature, rather than against
it?"

If we accept that the way we think is fundamentally different from the
way nature works, how might a concept of information avoid
exacerbating the pathologies of human existence? Wouldn’t it just turn
us into information bible-bashers hawking our ideas in online forums
(because universities are no longer interested in them!)? Would new
metrics help? Or would that simply create new scarcity in the form of
a technocratic elite? Or maybe we’re barking up the wrong tree. Maybe
it’s not “information” at all (whatever that is) – or maybe it’s “not
information”.

I like ‘not information’ as the study of the constraints within which
our crazy thinking takes place because it continually draws us back to
what isn't thought. “

Mark, I think the greatest contribution IT can make to our view on nature
the ability it affords us to consider and even quantify the effects of
apophasis (that which does not exist). Recall that information is defined
as a double negative, so that the starting point is the *lack* of
constraint (an apophasis). Bateson pointed out how almost all of science
is positivist in viewpoint, but how often the absence of something is what
is most important in affecting results. Information theory allows us to
view nature “with both eyes open” to perceive the fundamental dialectic
between order formation and entropic decay.
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/FISPAP.pdf>

Thirdly, I quote Soeren:

"the concept of experience and meaning does not exist in the
vocabulary of the theoretical framework of natural sciences"

I would agree with the statement from the aspect of pragmatism – surely we
will never fully encapsulate all that is associated with subjective human
“meaning”.

I would disagree with the statement in the absolute sense, however,
because I believe the rudiments of meaning are indeed quantifiable. Take,
for example, the correspondences between the protein surfaces of an
invasive microbe and an antibody, where a lock-and-key relationship can be
described and quantified. To the antibody, this correspondence captures
the entire meaning of the microbe to the antibody’s existence.
<http://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/FISPAP.pdf> Somewhere along the way
from an antibody to the human being our ability to quantify meaning
necessarily breaks down, but I don’t think that meaning can be proscribed
from information theory *absolutely*.

Now here are Ed’s remarks:

                           ********************************
Dear Bob,

the subject "linear versus squared concept of energy" is so important
that I want to add to my former comments the "story behind the story".

       As I have already said it began with Leibniz's 1686 short paper
"Brevis demonstratio erroris memorabilis Cartesii et aliorum", notably
published just one year before Newton's Principia. Leibniz in his paper
argued against the "measure of force" of a material body's motion, as it
was used by his contemporaries in the context of the Cartesian
philosophy of the time, i. e. the measure "matter times velocity", in
modern notation mv. This concept, already used by Galileo, was confirmed
as the true "quantity of uniform straightline motion" of a body, as soon
as in the years 1669-1671 the most famous scientists of the time, John
Wallis, Christiaan Huygens, and Christopher Wren, by order of the Royal
Society, had independently of each other investigated the case. Based on
collision experiments, they all corroborated the truth of the said
measure; accordingly it has survived until today under the name of
"momentum p".

      Now, if the quantity of uniform-straightline motion is correctly
measured by the product mv, what is the measurable quantity of the
"force" that causes such a motion? Modern science denies that there
exists such a cause; uniform straightline motion is said to result from
the "inertia of matter" alone, which inertia is seen not as some
measurable /quantity/, but as an intrinsic /quality/ of matter. However,
in the middle of the 17th century scientists indeed measured not only
the momentum p = mv of uniform-straightline motion, but also the "force"
or "cause" of that motion - and correctly so: Even though some believed
in a geometric /proportionality /of cause and effect, while some others
took cause and effect as /equivalents/, in both cases the quantity of
active motion-generating force was to be measured through the quantity
of the generated effect, that is, through the quantity of motion mv.

      This was the situation when Leibniz published his 1686 paper, in
which he argued against the measure mv of force, deducing from the
mistaken proportionality of velocity of free fall with space the
"squared" measure mv^2, the concept which he called "vis viva". Very
quickly Cartesian scientists rejected Leibniz's concept, but only to the
effect that a fierce controversy began, which - named the "vis viva
controversy" - lasted for more than 60 (!) years, involving efforts of
many brights of the time to solve the problem of "the true measure of
force". For example, the controversy became part of the Leibniz-Clarke
Correspondence of 1715/1716. Samuel Clarke (with Newton in the
background) of course rejected Leibniz's "squared" concept, arguing for
the "linear" measure mv. In 1728, Clarke published a famous letter on
the subject in the "Philosophical Transactions", which I have for the
first time translated into German and published with my 1999 German
edition of the Leibniz-Clarke Correspondence (Felix Meiner Verlag
Hamburg). In 1746, even 22-years-old Immanuel Kant published a book on
the "vis-viva" subject. In 1748, there appeared Colin Maclaurin's
"Account on Isaac Newton's Philosophical Discoveries", which also dealt
with the vis-viva controversy, representing Newton's vote for the
"linear" measure mv (proportional to the generating force). But at the
middle of the 18th century the controversy seemed to be settled when
"analytical mechanics" was conceived in Berlin by Euler and Lagrange,
and was based on a "new" concept of "force": the concept "F = ma" (Euler
1750), which from now on provided the basis of the new "analytical" or
"classical" mechanics; I call it "Berlin Mechanics", as you know.

      Unfortunately, the competing concepts mv and mv^2 nevertheless
survived somehow, since they both resulted with Leibnizian mathematics
from the new concept of "force", mv being the "time integral", mv^2
being the "space integral" of this concept. But the "linear" concept mv
from now on meant no longer a "cause" or "force", but only the quantity
of effect "momentum p" only, while the "squared" Leibnizian concept took
the leading role as a generating cause in "dynamics" (a Leibnizian term,
never used by Newton). This happened when the Hamiltonian formalism of
mechanics was developed, the H of this mechanics basically just
representing Leibniz's "vis viva", now called "energy".

      After in the middle of the 19th century the Faraday-Maxwell theory
had been established, in 1884 John Henry Poynting derived from the
Maxwell equations the formula "energy over momentum = c = constant - the
"Poynting vector" - . Evidently this derivation brought to light the
"linear" concept of "force" again (now called "energy", E), being the
proportional cause of uniform-straightline motion, p = mv; E/p = c; but
nobody was aware of this revival, because scientists didn't and do not
think in historical dimensions. The same revival of the "linear" energy
concept happened when in 1900 Max Planck introduced to the public his
new "energy" concept E = fh (f = frequency), believing that he had found
something that had never been known before. Actually he had found the
geometric proportionality between a cause called "energy", and an effect
called "momentum" that Poynting had derived. This can be seen by
dimensional analysis if one puts E over mv, which results in a constant
that bears the dimensions "space over time" - just as Poynting's vector!
And, it was and is just the same thing as the "linear" measure of
"force" of the 17th century, that is, the force that is proportional to
its generated effect "uniform straightline motion": the "impetus" of
Galileo, and the "inertial force" (a true force!) of Newton. Albert
Einstein as well was clever enough to introduce a concept of "energy" in
1905, which appeared "squared" (E = mc^2) as well as "linear" (E/mc = c,
with mc = momentum of light). In 1925, Werner Heisenberg conceived his
"matrix mechanics", which again implied the "linear" concept E/p = c. It
can also be found behind Heisenberg's "indeterminacy relations" when put
together in a quaternate proportion, as I have shown for several times
elsewhere.

      History, however, sometimes repeats itself; and so it happened
that the "squared" energy concept had a come-back when Erwin Schrödinger
conceived his "wave mechanics" in 1926. His famous equation is basically
nothing else but Leibniz's "squared" energy concept, now in the
equivalent form E = p^2/2m. And, with Schrödinger there came the
unrealistic consequences of this mistaken concept into quantum mechanics
(entanglement, non-locality, as already mentioned in my last email).

      All in all, the historical survey shows that the different
concepts of "energy" do not belong to different parts of physics, for
example, one to relativity, the other one to "classical" mechanics, or,
one to the more precise, the other one to the more approximative. One
can also not say that the founders of quantum mechanics were aware of
the difference; rather there is evidence that they did not realize it,
since Heisenberg and Schrödinger both asserted the equivalence of their
actually incompatible formalisms, which incompatibility is rooted in the
said incompatible  energy concepts. Moreover, none of the established
experts in QM so far has realized the mathematically provable fact that
the Schrödinger formalism because of its being based on the "squared"
Leibnizian concept, should be the source of the known weird aspects of
QM. Rather they embrace these appearances and sell them to the
uneducated as characteristics of an allegedly unique "enigmatic
microphysical reality".

      This matter has been a main subject of my studies since the
1980ies. I have already published my findings in several papers, some of
which can be found on my page www.neutonus-reformatus.com. I remain
ready for discussion with everybody who wants to defend quantum
mechanics by saving it from the absurd, that is, independently of the
current textbook presuppositions and prejudices.

All the best,
Ed.