Dear Loet,
The way you have asked it, I think the answer to your question is known: both
order and disorder are universals, linked  dialectically. Never one without the
other, as for symmetry and asymmetry, except in trivially simple cases.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent from Samsung Mobile.

<l...@leydesdorff.net> </div><div>Date:29/06/2016  14:40  (GMT+01:00)
fis@listas.unizar.es </div><div>Subject: Re: [Fis] Shannonian Mechanics?

The figure from Weaver in Loet's excellent posting leaves a few aspects
outside. The why, the what, the how long, the with whom, and other aspects of
the information phenomenon do not enter. By doing that we have streamlined the
phenomenon... and have left it ready for applying a highly successful theory,
in the technological and in many other realms (linguistics, artif.
intelligence, neurodynamics, molec. networks, ecol. networks, applied soc.
metrics, etc). Pretty big and impressive, but is it enough? Shouldn't we try to
go beyond?

In my opinion, “The why, the what, the how long, the with whom, and other
aspects …” are subject to substantive theorizing. The type of answers will be
very different when studying biological or other systems of reference. But then
the information is provided with meaning by these theories and we discuss
“meaningful information” as different from Shannon-type information. There will
in this case a dimension to the information.

For example, when particles collide, there is exchange of momenta and energy.
The dissipation is then dimensioned as Joule/Kelvin (S = k H). In chemistry one
assumes a mass balance and thus a redistribution of atoms over molecules, etc.
The dimensionality of interhuman communication is hitherto not specified.

I wonder whether a far wider "phenomenology of information" is needed
(reminding what Maxine argued months ago about the whole contemplation of our
own movement, or Plamen about the "war on cancer"?). If that inquiry is
successful we could find for instance that:

This is not successful. It does not lead to a research program, but to
“philosophie spontanée des savant” (Althusser) as your comprehensive question
for “The why, the what, the how long, the with whom, and other aspects”
illustrates. The hidden program is biologistic:

2. Those UNIVERSALS are SPECIES' SPECIFIC.

“ESSENTIAL CORES” are discipline specific!

3. Those UNIVERSALS would be organized, wrapped, around an ESSENTIAL CORE. It
would consist in the tight ingraining of self-production and communication
(almost inseparable, and both information based!). In the human special case,
it is the whole advancement of our own lives what propels us to engage in
endless communication --about the universals of our own species-- but with the
terrific advantage of an open-ended communication system, language.

4. Those UNIVERSALS would have been streamlined in very different ways and
taken as "principles" or starting points for a number of
disciplines--remembering the discussion about the four Great Domains of
Science. A renewed Information Science should nucleate one of those domains.

“Should” is an expression of uneasiness? In my opinion, the assumption of an
origin is problematic: order is not given (ex ante) and then branching, but
emerging (ex post) from disorder (entropy). Is “disorder” perhaps a universal?
In which specific system? (I would have a provisional answer/ hypothesis; but
this is my second penny for this week.)

Best,
Loet

Best regards to all,
(and particular greetings to the new parties joined for this discussion)
--Pedro