Shannon was dealing with the problem of mutually compatible encodings such
as comes up in the theory of cyphers etc, and arises in the control of
machines a la Wiener. He adopted the term 'Information Theory' at the
suggestion of Jon Von Neumann, and everyone accepted the appellation.

What an encoding means, and how you interpret it, is, from this
perspective, a largely secondary question. What decision(s) do you make?

Wellington referred to the key message that enabled him to win one of his
battles in the Peninsular War (Salamanca if i remember rightly) as 'an
intelligence'.

I would suggest (albeit as an outsider) that these terms should be allowed
to stick. The quantified mathematical physical vehicle is 'information',
while the interpreted message on the basis of which decisions are taken -
'Fight' (as in Wellington (then Sir John Wellesley)'s case), or 'Flight'
(as in the case of the French Marshal opposing him) is 'intelligence'.

Then 'intelligence' equals 'information' PLUS the semiotic / semantic
component.

BUT the quantified 'information' concept tells you precisely the number of
*independent* decisions a given amount of *information* can give rise to.

In light of these thoughts, please can anyone tell me the following. The
above discussion has slithered into a discussion that implicitly includes
'purpose' - teleology is implied in this transition from information to
intelligence.

Yet teleology is always said to be inconceivable from the perspective of
causality in physics. And even in quantum theory, no one has resolved this
issue as far as I know.

On the other hand, the discussions of semiotics, particularly
'Cyber-semiotics', aired in this group earlier by Soren Brier, are redolent
with teleological implications. So WHAT IS GOING ON?

Do these thought lead anyone to any constructive comments?
Best wishes to all,

Alex