Dear Mark and Colleagues,

Thanks for the well crafted work. Actually you have presented us a tightly linked work along perspectives of philosophical, historical, and present day criticisms stances. For my taste, Sections 1 and 2 are a matter of opinion, of philosophical orientation, closer in this case to critical stances. Speech social-construction, status function, scarcity declaration, communication definition, information-uncertainty sciences, etc. Some of these topics are or have been subject to hot debate in this list, so I decline entering--anyhow, my personal impression is that such kind of oriented approach although formally consistent, leave aside important aspects of the phenomenon. But it is good that you have made the consistent scheme.

Historically, the parallel between publication in that transitional period of the "scientific revolution" and our times of "information revolution" is well developed. Just to enlarge the panorama, I recommend /Information Ages/. Literacy, Numeracy, and the Computer Revolution. Michael E. Hobart and Zachary S. Schiffman. (2000). The publication practices around the "papiri era", culminating in the Alexandrian Library, and the "codices era", around the monastic system first and later around the university system are the two big precedents. The underlying phenomenon in all eras revolves around the "sharing of knowledge", a genuine cognitive instinct that is channeled in different ways by existing social orders and available technical resources. Not much different from the artistic pulsion--and often closely interlinked (paradigmatic Leonardo da Vinci).

In our times, there is a famous sentence by premier Zhou Enlai "It is too early to say"... However personally I share most of the concerns raised by Mark, adding a pessimistic note on the impact that the new techs are having in the "creative engine" of science. Although multiple new fields have been open thanks to the computer upheaval (precision medicine, omic revolution, nanosciences, social physics, social neurosceince, social networks, big data everywhere, etc etc), the amazing bounty has been accompanied by new problems. On the one side a new aristocracy related to big sceince projects and techno-utopian goals, more and more distanced of the common researcher, plus an enormous increase of computer-mediated bureaucratization. Besides, the really easy communication tools and the multiplicity of channels have derived in an unselected overflow that impacts negatively on the slow reflection needed in science: rushing from screen to screen, no time to think. Something similar is happening in technically mediated social relationships--terrible for instance in adolescents. If we are going toward a symbiosis man-machine, the prospects are not fascinating.

Well, these are comments from a late baby boomer, hardly adapted to the new order...
Best greetings to all
--Pedro