Peirce's answer is a definite "yes", and is a form pf realism. The idea that
patterns require an observer is the basis for nominalism, which was adopted by
most empiricists like Locke and Hume. Plato, though, was also a nominalist,
though the reasoning is not so straight-forward. The empiricist Berkeley, with
his requirement of God's observation, is an objective idealism, but
nominalistic nonetheless, in line with the other British Empiricists of his era.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier