Dear Terrence and colleagues,

I agree that we should not be fundamentalistic about “information”. For
example, one can also use “uncertainty” as an alternative word to Shannon-type
“information”. One can also make distinctions other than
semantic/syntactic/pragmatic, such as biological information, etc.

Nevertheless, what makes this list to a common platform, in my opinion, is our
interest in the differences and similarities in the background of these
different notions of information. In my opinion, the status of Shannon’s
mathematical theory of information is different  from special theories of
information (e.g., biological ones) since the formal theory enables us to
translate between these latter theories. The translations are heuristically
important: they enable us to import metaphors from other backgrounds (e.g.,
auto-catalysis).

For example, one of us communicated with me why I was completely wrong, and
made the argument with reference to Kullback-Leibler divergence between two
probability distributions. Since we probably will not have “a general theory”
of information, the apparatus in which information is formally and
operationally defined—Bar-Hillel once called it “information calculus”—can
carry this interdisciplinary function with precision and rigor. Otherwise, we
can only be respectful of each other’s research traditions. J

I wish you all a splendid 2017,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> l...@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of Sussex;

Guest Professor  <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/> Zhejiang Univ., Hangzhou;