      From: Dr. Plamen L. Simeonov <plamen.l.simeo...@gmail.com>
 To: Louis H Kauffman <lou...@gmail.com>
Cc: fis <fis@listas.unizar.es>
 Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:42 PM
 Subject: Re: [Fis] A Curious Story

Dear Louis, Pedro and FISers,

I have been knowing Otto for about a litle less than 10 years now.
What I have learned from him is that he has a very subtle sense of humor and
wisdom.
What I conclude about this issue with CERN's LHC is that he wishes nothing
more/less than an a priori theoretical proof that the black hole experiments
will not lead to a collaps of the Earth.
He would be more than happy if somebody provides this proof and his concerns
about our future appear ungrounded, so that the experiments can continue
without any fear about the possible end of humanity. But as he said, nobody has
done this until now. Nobody has taken these concerns seriously. The key
question for us is why do we allow such experiments without having such a
proof? Why do we play with fire in our own kitchen without being sure that we
can deal with its breakout? If the accident occurs, then it will be too late to
prevent the danger, unless we have a time machine, which is not the case at the
moment, I am afraid.

So, I think that Otto's appeal can be considered as a challenge not less
important than the one with the proof of Fermat's last theorem.
While there was no danger from keeping this problem unsolved for 300+ years, we
may have a real problem now.
So, why not trying to administer science for being performed in a reasonable
way: to not place the horses (experimental science) before the cabin
(theoretical science) - which is the case with LHC?
Otto only wishes to say: "We should not do such experients, until we have a
theoretical proof or at least to have a computer simulation demonstrating that
the chance of having such a disaster is diminishing." And even if this is the
case, we should carry a referendum over 4+ billion people on Earth on wether to
allow such experiments or not. They are not only an issue ofr a government or
of an over-excited community of physicists. Please correct me if I am wrong,
Otto.

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Plamen