Dear Friends,

It is always a refreshing experience to read the FIS discussion. Please
allow me to contribute a thread which may turn out to be useful. First, I’d
like to draw a parallel between FIS and the contemporaries of Mendel, then
discuss similarities between the concepts of “information” and “genetics”,
as viewed thru the mirror of Mendel’s work, and close by a constructive
proposal with regard to the subject-matter of information.

   1. Mendel and the concepts of his contemporaries

There was a drastic climb-down from elegant, important, high-level,
complicated, exclusive concepts as the scientific community had to accept
that hereditary traits are passed down the generations according to the
rules of combinatorics. There is much less glamour in 1:2:1 and 9:3:3:1
than in “divine will”, “mysteries of Nature”, “preordained destiny” etc.

Mendel was offering his contemporaries a simple, household, non-glamorous
explanation, based on elementary, everyday rules, based on proportions of
natural numbers. He had used garden peas to demonstrate his ideas on, not
dragons to be slain, unicorns to be ridden, angels to be observed dancing
on the tip of needles or any other fancy stuff. Just plain numbers.

Does anyone remember today the shmocks ignoring Mendel? Mendel’s motto was:
“My time shall certainly come.”

   1. Concepts hidden behind words

While his contemporaries had been industriously producing hot air, Mendel
did his experiments. Today, we do not need garden peas because we can
simulate garden peas by entries in databases. Mendel observed relations
coming from contrasting one kind of properties of garden peas with other
kinds of properties of garden peas. We do away with actual garden peas and
contrast properties of one kind of database entries with other kinds of
properties of database entries. Believe it or not, the system functions
without actual garden peas, too. There appear specific patterns if one
contrasts differing properties of elements of one and the same set of
objects.

Having learnt quite a lot since the times of Mendel, we can these days use
abstract concepts, like “objects” as symbols for actual things like “garden
peas”.

His contemporaries could not understand Mendel, because they were enchanted
by glitzy, fascinating, fashionable words and could not believe that ideas
of such unexciting greyness as proportions among natural numbers could
express the relations dominating in Nature much better than their ideas of
phlogiston and destiny. Mendel could not make himself understood by his
contemporaries, because he had lacked the words for the concepts for
“sequence”, “chromosome”, “haploid”, “triplet”, etc.

The principle discovered by Mendel is that Nature can be depicted by using
natural numbers. Once a few generations have wasted their time trying to
ignore natural numbers, their grandchildren have gained the insight to look
for something that agrees to the principles laid down by the rules of
arithmetic.

Today, the attention of FIS is drawn to relations between natural numbers.
It remains to be seen, how many generations have yet to pass until future
scientists will say: “Well, let us look into what is not happening if we
cause something to happen.”

   1. What is information and how do we detect it

 In psychology, information is usually understood to mean the difference
between expectation and observation. To be more general and understandable,
one may call it the contrast between the foreground and the background. For
those who have grown up on the teachings of Shannon, this makes not much
sense, as of a universe of {0,1}, that what is not the case is the
background to that what is the case. Once one has a universe of, say,
{0,1,2,3}, the background is /if, say, “1” is the case: {0,2,3,}/ the
others. The difference to the Shannon concept is that the background is not
uniformly the background, but rather: the background does have properties
which one can (not: perceive, but) theoretize about. The differences within
the background are our garden peas.

There are many, very interesting, quite educative relations among the
elements of the background. FIS is invited to climb down from discussing
phlogiston and destiny, and spend time usefully by looking into relations
among natural numbers. The time will certainly come when people will
understand that science is not glamour. Hollywood is glamour. Science is
numbers.

Thanks to MDPI, a simple google entry “mdpi karl javorszky” will bring you
to the relevant literature.

Karl