(Message from John Torday --Note: neither the list nor the server do accept attachments)

-------- Mensaje reenviado --------
Asunto:         Re: [Fis] Verification of the Principle of Information Science
Fecha:  Thu, 19 Oct 2017 06:45:07 -0700
De:     JOHN TORDAY <jtor...@ucla.edu>
Para:   Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

Dear All, I feel like the beggar at the banquet, having arrived at the FIS of late in response to Pedro's invitation to participate, having reviewed our paper on 'ambiguity' in Progress in Biolphyics and Molecular Biology (see attached). In my deconvolution of evolution as all of biology (Dobzhansky), I have reduced the problem to the unicellular state as the arbiter of information and communication, dictated by The First Principles of Physiology- negative entropy, chemiosmosis and homeostasis. I arrived at that idea by following the process of evolution as ontogeny and phylogeny backwards from its most complex to its simplest state as a continuum, aided by the concept that evolution is a series of pre-adaptations, or exaptations or co-options. With that mind-set, the formation of the first cell from lipids immersed in water generated 'ambiguity' by maintaining a negative entropic free energy within itself in defiance of the external positive energy of the physical environment, and the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The iterative resolution of that ambiguous state of being is what we refer to as evolution. For me, information and communication are the keys, but they are not co-equals. I say that because in reducing the question of evolution to the single cell, I have been able to 'connect the dots' between biology and physics, such elements of Quantum Mechanics as non-localization and the Pauli Exclusion Principle being the basis for pleiotropy, the distribution of genetics throughout the organism, and The First Principles of Physiology, respectively. So now, thinking about the continuum from physics to biology, literally, the Big Bang generated the magnitude and direction of both the Cosmos and subsequently biology, i.e. life is a verb not a noun, a process, not a thing. For these reasons I place communication hierarchically 'above' information. Moreover, this perspective offers answers to the perennial questions as to how and why life is 'emergent and contingent'. The emergence is due to the pleiotropic property, the organism having the ability to retrieve 'historic' genetic traits for novel purposes. And the contingence is on The First Principles of Physiology. So we exist between the boundaries of both deterministic Principles of Physiology and the Free Will conferred by homoestatic control, offering a range of set-points that may/not evolve when necessary, depending on the prevailing environmental conditions.

And by the way, this way of thinking plays into Pedro's comments about the impact of such thinking on society because in conceiving of the cell as the first Niche Construction (see attached), all that I have said above plays out as the way in which organisms interact with one another and with their environment based on self-referential self-organization, which is the basis for consciousness, all emanating from the Big Bang as their point source. So with all due respect, Information is the medium, but communication is in my opinion the message, not the other way around. I see this as a potential way of organize information in a contextually relevant way that is not anthropocentric, but objective, approximating David Bohm's 'implicate order'. Ciao for now, I hope....John Torday